Thread: How can I save or capture FLASH files?

Question How can I save or capture FLASH files?

I have found some flash files in my Temporary Internet Files folder and some have worked. I usually copy them and paste them into another folder. I've "assosiated" them with IE so they work if I double click on them.

Lately a rather large file [3715 kb] still needed to connect to the Internet.

I'd like to save some of these for futue reference/fun even if they are no longer hosted on a site.

Is there a way?

Thanks,
    Charlie

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try Flash Saver:

Flash Saver is the tool software to help you download swf files from web pages. It enables you to save all Flash animations from web pages, including Flash websites, Flash game, Flash MTV, Flash Movie, Flash advertisement, or what ever Flash files you find in the web. What you need to do is just a simple click! All Flash (swf files) will be downloaded from web browser to your local hard disk. You can classify downloaded flash files, change names, add comments, play, snapshot and more.

With Flash Saver, you can:

Download swf files directly: You may download the flash file directly if you know its URL (*.swf). Lots of BBS offer flash files url for downloading, it's the most convenient and fast way to download such swf files.

Download swf files from cache: Flash items can be downloaded from the cache. This choice is always faster than the second choice.

Download swf files from webpage: Search Flash items in the web page you're surfing. This is not recommended because it is a bit slower than the second mode and some Flash items can't be found in some cases e.g. flash files built in Javascript, flash files built in encrypted webpage.

Download swf files from the popup windows directly: When you move your cursor on the flash file of a popup window, it will show Flash Saver Bar on this popup window, you can download the flash file by clicking ; you also can change Flash Saver settings by clicking .

More info here

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Man that sounds awesome. Got to have it. Thanks Rev

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Try Flash Saver:

Flash Saver is the tool software to help you download swf files from web pages. ...
    Thanks, I tried it and another program Inline CaptureFlash but neither worked. Maybe as you mentioned, when they are on an encrypted page, they can't be captured.

Thanks anyway.
    Charlie

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    can you post the URL to the flash? (as long as it's within the TZ good taste rules.)

Someone here may be able to offer more assistance
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I have a program called Flash Movie Extract Pilot.It's a freeware program for Windows 9x,NT,2000,and works great on XP.You can get it on FlashExtract
    Last edited by zipp51; July 21st, 2004 at 04:51 AM.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    can you post the URL to the flash? (as long as it's within the TZ good taste rules.)

Someone here may be able to offer more assistance
    Sure, it's http://www.jibjab.com/thisland.html.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by zipp51
    I have a program called Flash Movie Extract Pilot.It's a freeware program for Windows 9x,NT,2000,and works great on XP.You can get it on FlashExtract
    I checked out your link. It only extracts the flash file from cache which I can do without a program. Unfortunately, the file in cache, does not play the video, it only calls it up.

What I'd like is a TRUE capture program that would record the video as it's playing.

Charlie

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie C
    I checked out your link. It only extracts the flash file from cache which I can do without a program. Unfortunately, the file in cache, does not play the video, it only calls it up.

What I'd like is a TRUE capture program that would record the video as it's playing.

Charlie

All the flash files play for me.Do you have a flash player installed?I can extract store and play the file.Whatsmore the files play in a player box within the program.Not sure what's keeping your files from playing?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by zipp51
    All the flash files play for me.Do you have a flash player installed?I can extract store and play the file.Whatsmore the files play in a player box within the program.Not sure what's keeping your files from playing?
    The flash files play for me also. I'd like to be able to save them for future for when they may not longer be hosted. Usually, I just grab them from the temp folder. The "this land" one, didn't when I got it from the original site. However, they have since moved the file to another site and I was able to save it from there. There must have been something wrong with the first site's server.

Charlie

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie C
    That was funny!

How can I save or capture FLASH files?
    There's another easy way as well.
    If you like tabbed browsing, and use MyIE2 (or its newer avatar, Maxthon), just open the I-net URL where you found this flash, and then click the flash-addon in the toolbar. You get a new page now, with radio-boxes which allow you to either view/preview/save. Choose to save, then right click on the link which appears now (direct file link to the SWF), and choose "Save Target As". That's it.

After saving the SWF to local disk, there's almost no reason it will want to connect out to the net. To play it of course, drag-n-drop into any browser window. :thumbup
    Enjoy!
    Cheers !!!