Thread: xp freezes at desktop =(

xp freezes at desktop =(

hi. i startup my compy and click on my login name and enter the pass and the screen loads to my desktop. all the icons on the bottom rite tray load and stuff but then everyhitng just freezes. i cant click on nothing or whatever, the mouse moves around but thats it. in task manager (if i open before freeze) it shows "system idle process" taking like 99 cpu and there is like 5 svchost processes in the works. how could i fix this problem? i'm cureently just using safe mode with networking so help would be appreciated!

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Sounds like a virus or spyware. Please refer to this thread:

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9739

MSConfig

You may want to boot into safemode and edit the startup through msconfig. What you would do is goto start > run > type "msconfig" and it will bring up a window. Click on the startup tab then you may want to start unchecking items and restart your computer to see if that makes a difference. Also, have you recently installed any software prior to this problem? If so, you may want to uninstall it through safemode. Just a thought.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Excellent suggestion wynnfarm. Killing the entire startup group and all non MS services should give a quick clue as to the problem if software related.

Welcome to Techzonez wynnfarm.