Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar

First PC...

This could be an interesting thread...

Leading Edge Model M (8088)
    512k memory
    20 Meg HD
    5.24 inch floppy drive
    Monochrome amber monitor w/Hercules emulation
    20 month warranty (best in the business back then)
    MS-DOS v3.1 (w/GW-BASIC)
    purchased: Oct 1988
    $1700

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Titanium Member
    My first computer:

Sony VAIO Digital Studio PCV-RX650
    512 mb
    80 GB HD
    1.6mhz
    Purchased around March/April 2002

Since you said PC, I will not go into detail about the CO-CO (Tandy Color Computer) purchased in 1983.

First PC was a Tandy 286XT 8088
    No hard drive
    two 5 1/4" hard drives
    Win 3.0
    CGA color monitor.
    Cost about $1800 in 1986
    Later added a 120 MB card HD
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I still have my first laptop

It is sitting in my closet and I wonder if it is worth anything......

You can read some cool information here,

My first home Computer was a 286 with a broken HD and I got familiar with Nortons watching it try to fix sectors.

Went to the old second hand stores and bought tons of old computers and figured them out.

found a modem in one and called the local library with it and found some old BBS numbers on a hard drive and called them and found some cool naughty pics of stars in there.

I had the old CGA monitor so i learned how to upgrade really quick.

The thing that got me into figuring these things out was the description of gillian anderson having bleep with some guy........
    Man I wanted to see what that looked like really bad....

I think I was the fastest learner in the world hehe

Egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I have some old 8mb simms if anyone needs them.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    my first was a 384dx not the sx. with 8megs of ram and 2 megs of video with a huge 504meg hard drive. and with all that high performance parts was chugging along with windows 3.1. Remember good ol' progman.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Although it looks like an unimpessive keyboard-like box, the C-64 was wildly popular. More C-64's have been sold than any other single computer system, even to this day.

The C-64 looks nearly identical to the Commodore VIC-20, released in 1981. They are similar, but the C-64 is more powerful with more features.

The 64's microprocessors support two high-resolution graphic modes, smooth scrolling, "sprites", bit mapping, character collision resolution and character mapped graphics, not to mention three channels of complex sound. All this make it an excellent game machine, which is what it excelled at the most, with thousands of software titles release and numerous peripherals to extend its capabilities.

Early on, Commodore had very poor quality control. System failures were extremely high, mostly due to poor design and rush-to-market. Nearly 80% of all systems shipped had to be returned.

Commodore continued to improve reliablilty, as well as reduce manufacturing costs. Eventually, it cost only about $25.00 to manufacture the thing, and the consumer price of the C-64 dropped to around $200.00.

In 1984, Commodore released the SX64, the portable C64 with built-in monitor, floppy drive and power supply!

http://oldcomputers.net/pics/C64combo.jpg

I played many hours of Oregon Trail and some stupid train game on that machine.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    My first PC was bought in 1999, an HP Celeron 333 mhz.
    32 mb ram, later on upgraded to 256 mb
    onboard video, later on upgraded to PCI 64 mb card
    4 gig hard drive, later on replaced it with a 20 gig
    14 inch CRT
    Originally came with Windows 98 but replaced it with Me, 2000 and finally XP.
    Last edited by Conan; July 21st, 2004 at 09:21 AM.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    My First PC? Or the first PC I took posetion of?
    I started using computers with my ants PC (386, not sure of the rest of details, thought she still has it and uses it)
    My first PC was thought cutting edge for the moment since I used it for graphic design
    Pentium 100 MHz
    16MB memory (I can't remember the type now, but it was 66 MHz) I later upgraded to 32 and it flyed
    8 GB HD
    5.24 inch floppy drive
    24X CD-ROM
    Sound Blaster (something)
    1MB Video Card Trident (Which performed better than my mother's 2 MB card)
    16 million Color
    No Warranty (Why would I want such a thing?)
    Windows 98
    purchased: Oct 1998
    $1600

Titanium Member
    I did do some data entry in a hospital accounting department on IBM AT and XT. I have no idea what OS they ran. All I did was type on it. I did not know how to turn it on or off. I remember one of the accountants had one of those compaqs - where the keyboard is also a cover for the screen..

What OS did the AT and XT run?

Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    What OS did the AT and XT run?
    The compaq that I was using at work was using dos programs only. I got my hands on windows 1.0 sometimes during this period, however it was usless. You could navigate dos with batch files much quicker that messing with early windows releases. Windows wasn't really usefull until ver 2.0. Ver 3.0 was the one that finally converted me. By then I was working on an AT with EGA monitor and graphics.

I am not that old. But my father's first computer was Apple's first PC. He has so many problems with it, he's now anti-mac. His first laptop, which I was using to play MS-DOS games was a 6cm thick P1 Twinhead running Win 3.1.

At that time I was still ignorant. My father got a tall tower case PC at time. Self-built. Then a Mid-tower case both running Win 3.1 and both P1s. Then came another Mid-tower case self-built, P2 333Mhz 64MB Ram ATi Rage PRO. This was when I started learning how to crash Win 95 and recover it. I practically looked through the entire Win directory, wondered what the registry editor was for, deleted some keys and crashed the OS. Then restored it with a boot flooply. I also got tons O' disk errors, faced the BSOD. And then my father bought a P4 Gateway then last year a Dell and here I am.
    Last edited by joshsiao; July 22nd, 2004 at 13:26 PM.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Quote Originally Posted by joshsiao
    I am not that old.
    Say that with a smile partner.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    The compaq that I was using at work was using dos programs only. I got my hands on windows 1.0 sometimes during this period, however it was usless. You could navigate dos with batch files much quicker that messing with early windows releases. Windows wasn't really usefull until ver 2.0. Ver 3.0 was the one that finally converted me. By then I was working on an AT with EGA monitor and graphics.
    The PC's at work had Lotus 1,2,3 and peachtree and that's all I remember. I remember Lotus was a pain in butt...So what OS did they have?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    The PC's at work had Lotus 1,2,3 and peachtree and some others..So what OS did they have?
    Sounds like DOS.