Thread: Automatic Update tab is missing

Automatic Update tab is missing

My OS is XP Professional. I'm missing the automatic update feature in my system properties dialog box. What could have caused this and how do I fix it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    huh you got me stumped on that one...did you install any xp tweaking apps. like tweakui, tweakxp, etc. that does reg hacks thru the app.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Is your computer in a Domain? It might be managed thru policies.
    Also try doing an update from the windows web site and see if it comes back

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    When did you first notice this? Was the tab there previously?

I believe I did install tweakxp at one time, then I deleted it. It's been 7 months since I've deleted this program.

My computer isn't on a domain and I went to the windows web site and did an update. It didn't come back. I'm thinking I might have to re-install Windows XP Professional. I don't want to but might have to. What do you think?

I realized 6 days ago that it had been a long time since I had seen the windows update icon. I decided to look into it and got a tip on how to enable windows update to update automatically. I right-clicked on My Computer and selected properties. The System Properties dialog box came up and I noticed the Automatic Update tab was missing. I then went in search of an XP Forum where I knew there would be someone that knew more about Windows XP than I do. I have run Window Washer, Registry Mechanic, TweakXP and Registry Medic at one time or another. Do you think I might've inadvertently deleted the Automatic Update tab with one of these programs?

Did you try doing a repair of Windows XP?
    That is going to be a lot easier and faster than re-installing.
    Another suggestion.. it might be a long shot, but, we could export the registry entry for Windows update for you and that might fix it.
    Or....you could wait a little more untill SP2 is realized in August and install SP2.

I tried doing a repair of Windows XP as you suggested. I get as far as the Windows XP Professional Setup screen (where it asks for the CD labeled:Windows XP Professional CD-Rom) and nothing happens when I insert the CD and hit the ENTER button. All I see happening is that the CD-Rom drive reads the CD for 5 seconds and then the instructions (that were asked for before) appear again. I've used Maxell's CDX-1 Scratch Remover and CDX-2 Cleaner, Polish & Sealer on the CD and it still doesn't make a difference. What step(s) am I missing?

humm, so it is not reading it?
    I am not sure if this actually will work, but did you try to make a copy of the CD?
    Also, you don't really need the same disc to use the recovery console. IT has to be labeled the same thought. If a friend has windows XP try with their CD (if they will lend it to you). Also, sometimes the dialog box allows you for typing, if that is the case, try typing directly the patch to the I386 folder in the CD

Hey, Dehcbad25. Sorry I took so long to get back to you, but I was very busy with family business and trying to Repair Windows in Recovery Console. During Setup(from XP cd-rom), my computer hung up during the last 13 minutes of completing the Repair. An error dialog box came up. It said:"unregmp2.exe Entry Point Not Found. The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL." The dialog box wouldn't go away after I pressed the "OK" button. I made the mistake of turning off my computer thinking that I could continue (from where I left off) later. Needless to say, I couldn't. When I re-boot, I see the MicronPC screen flash for a second, then I see the Windows XP Professional screen and the small bar that shows it's loading. After that, I get a black screen with only the mouse pointer showing. I've used a bootdisk from www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm and was able to change my administrator password (I lost mine) to get me into the DOS prompt and use CHKDSK C: /P /R. It did repair an error on Volume C. I thought this would enable me to get my PC to start working again. No matter what I try, I keep getting the "black screen with mouse pointer" everytime I re-boot. I know I should've backed up my files then all I would have to do was re-install XP PRO. Unfortunately, I didn't. Do you think that re- installing is my only hope or is there something you can share with me that I could do? I would really prefer not to re-install, but if I have to, I will. Thanks!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Try booting to the cd and trying the repair option again.

Thanks for the suggestion rik, but it won't let me boot to the CD. I have to use 6 floppy disks just to enter setup and get to the repair option. I've tried this several times with the same results. I'm stumped.

I hate to say it , but I had to use the Windows ME Image Restore Media disk. It set my pc back to factory settings which was Windows ME. I'll just have to do a clean install of XP Pro and not procrastinate when it comes to backing up my important files. Thanks for all the help. I'll keep in touch.