Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partition Magic for FAT32 Reformat?

Partition Magic for FAT32 Reformat?

Based on some problems I recently experienced with NTFS in Windows XP, I'm considering starting from scratch with a clean installation of XP on FAT32. But since XP setup won't apply the FAT32 format to partitions over 32Gb, is "Partition Magic" the best software for that? If not, what do you suggest?

fat32 does have the 32GB limit but in theory a fat32 volume can be up to 8 terabytes in size..Windows XP however will not format anything bigger then 32Gigs..Partition magic should allow you to format your drive in fat32, and windows will still beable to read/write to it..

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    What problems did you have with NTFS? Just curious.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman
    Windows XP however will not format anything bigger then 32Gigs
    well I have an 80 gig that formatted ntfs fine from the xp cd.

Slip of tongue...XP will not format using FAT32 if its bigger then 32GB on a partition.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    What problems did you have with NTFS? Just curious.
    I posted that in a different thread (see below). So far I still haven't figured it out and neither has anyone else. Maybe you can take a shot at it. But if I don't get it resolved in the next few days, I've decided just to reformat my drives and do a clean install of Win XP and all my programs.

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10841

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    This is just a guess and I could be wrong about it, but I think if you reformat your main drive and choose NTFS, I think that you won't have the folder slowdown with JPEGS. If immediately after the format you still experience the slowdown, then reformat back to FAT32. I know it sounds like a lot of work but I just think that there is a software conflict happening here and reformatting will solve the problem.

Do you have any software installed like Picaview/Acdsee?
    You might have mentioned this, so sorry if repeating but how many files does your pic folder contain?

Yes, I do have ACDSee. It's an older verion 2.42. When the 3.xx version came out, I tried it and hated it, so I reverted back to 2.42 which is my favorite. Now I see that they are up to v6.0. Dang! I guess if they didn't keep upgrading and selling new versions, they wouldn't make any money. But I'm so comfortable with v2.42 that I'd hate to give it up. So do you think there's a chance that ACDSee is the culprit?
    Last edited by MailManX; July 24th, 2004 at 03:10 AM.

Darn, I really thought you were on to something. Just to check it out, I uninstalled ACDSee and rebooted. The problem had not gone away. Then I remembered that I had Paint Shop Pro, so I uninstalled that, too. Still no luck. I'm about out of new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by MailManX
    Darn, I really thought you were on to something. Just to check it out, I uninstalled ACDSee and rebooted. The problem had not gone away. Then I remembered that I had Paint Shop Pro, so I uninstalled that, too. Still no luck. I'm about out of new ideas.
    Sometimes uninstalling will not solve the problem. I still think that your problems will be solved with a freshly formatted drive even if it's in NTFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    I still think that your problems will be solved with a freshly formatted drive even if it's in NTFS.
    I've come to that conclusion as well.

I sure like the way this forum shows quotes in a different color box. In other ways as well, I like this forum the best of any I've visited.
    Last edited by MailManX; July 24th, 2004 at 19:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MailManX
    I've come to that conclusion as well.

I sure like the way this forum shows quotes in a different color box. In other ways as well, I like this forum the best of any I've visited.
    Thank you for the compliment! We do try to be one the friendliest forums on the net.

I was never much for the format will fix everything fix..However after posting here for awhile now ive noticed the people here know what there doing..I would go with them..MailManX I agree, this is the best forum around...
    --
    What happens if you open task manager and monitor your CPU usage or process usage and open the folder?
    Last edited by wolfman; July 25th, 2004 at 13:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman
    What happens if you open task manager and monitor your CPU usage or process usage and open the folder?
    It averages 2 to 3 percent usage.