Thread: strange vid card problem?

strange vid card problem?

Hello there, have a problem with my vid card drivers once again. The drivers always work fine and my games run great, except, when I have to restart the computer. Every time I restart, the drivers are somehow erased and have to be reinstalled after every restart. I have checked dxdiag, nothing missing, no problems. Is this a problem with the card not being seated well? or something else? I tried runnning driver cleaner, and not running driver cleaner and it makes no difference that I can tell. My card is a BFG Geforce FX5200 and I am using the drivers from the cd that came with the card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Daniel.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Use the latest drivers available at:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html

Well here is the update. I uninstalled the drivers that I had put of from the BFG cd. Afterwards, I restarted into safe mode, ran driver and cab cleaner, rebooted and installed latest drivers from the nvidia site. After this the comp promts another reboot for the drivers to take effect and so I do. So now I try go to device manager to see what the verdict is and find that I havent changed anything. I am still recieving Error Code 10: device cannot start. Dxdiag tells me , even after the nvidia install, that I am using generic video card drivers, and everything else in dxdiag checks out fine. Man this is frustrating.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Try reseating the card in another slot and install the latest drivers..If your still having issues, contact BFG. They should have a toll free number to call and have them troubleshoot with you. It is possible that your card could have issues. If I am not mistaken they offer a lifetime warranty on their cards...good luck dood.
    Last edited by PIPER; July 24th, 2004 at 07:24 AM.

Teh... I faced the somewhat the same problem. Try reseating the card as PIPER says. Look at the contacts of the card. If its not shiny, polish it with an eraser but make sure all eraser dust is removed before putting it back in. If possible, vaccum clean the slot and the connectors. Then firmly push the card back into the slot and start the computer and see.

I am not sure if there's another cause but you can try and reseat your RAM too? I think its becasue the OS keeps on thinking that you've installed a new card each time you start up so thats why its running its generic drivers.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Well, I guess I will call BFG on this one. I took the card out and cleaned to connectors with the erasers as you said. They were somewhat dirty looking but not horrible. Anyways I cant tell that it did any good. Here is a little more history that might help. The card before this one was doing the exact same thing, which is why I bought this card in the first place. Which is why I am pretty sure its something besides the card. None of this happened at all until I had to install a new hard drive not too long ago when the other one took the long dirt nap so to speak. What is weird is that when I install the drivers off the BFG cd, they at least work until the next restart, and the nvidia drivers that I downloaded dont work at all. I think that is because they require a restart after installation before I can use them. Well, if anyone has anymore suggestions I would appreciate it, thank you for all the help so far. I am going to call BFG and maybe they will know something more.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    If an older card was doing the same thing then it's probably the motherboard that's faulty.

Well, say I cant figure out something to do, and it is the motherboard. I guess Newegg.com is a good place to get a good mb, cpu combo package?
    I also hear that Tigerdirect is a good place. I guess it's good that prices are good and getting cheaper Well, I'll keep working on it and see if something happens besides me throwing it out of the window, thanks all for the help.