Thread: Removing/adding user icons in xp

Question Removing/adding user icons in xp

I am new to XP and multiple user desktops. I would like to know if it is possible to remove/add icons from one user without affecting the other user's desktop?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    create multiple accounts and all users will have the ability to have there own desktops, walpapers and screen resoltions as well as there own icons.

create the accounts in control panel under user accounts.

Hope this helps
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply EGGHEAD. I have created the multiple user accounts. That is simple and explained in XP help. But when I install software, as the administrator, the icons are added to all the users desktops. If I go to a particular user and delete the icon, it deletes it from all users which is what I don't want to happen. I have successfully used different wallpaper for the different desktops, but the icon thing baffles me!

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hmm....

I was under the impression that once an account is created the desktop is independant frm the others.

so deleteing icons should not affect the other users desktop.

You all should have your own startup folder for programs you install on your account....

Lets see if someone can help you out with more information..

Thanks and welcome to Techzonez
    ------------------------------------------------------------

The easiest way to get around this is to navigate to > MyComputer > C: Drive > Documents and Settings folder
    Now when you install a program and it puts an icon on the desktop for >All Users you will then need navigate to the > Desktop folder and right click, cut the icon out from > All Users> Desktop folder
    You then need to follow the same solution to which ever prefered user folder you wish to display the icon on the desktop - just paste the icon into your prefered folder
    e.g
    My Computer> C Drive > Documents and Settings> All Users >Desktop
    *remove icon from this folder and move it to this folder
    My Computer> C Drive > Documents and Settings> Duke >Desktop

This can be done for all your multiple users and icons moved to if you wish to share for multiple users or only certain users

Goodluck
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules