Thread: My 56K modem won't connect faster than 28.8k

My 56K modem won't connect faster than 28.8k

I was investigating recent frequent disconnecting with my telecommunications company and through line testing using the Windows XP Hyperterminal the technition discovered that my 56k wouldn't connect faster than 28.8kbps. The status properties im the system tray will never have a speed faster than 28.8kbps. The telecommunications guy couldn't explain this but maybe some of you guys might have some suggestions.
    Thanks for your time. Please move this to the correct forum if necessary.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Hello Kaboth,

I have moved your thread to the hadware forum,

Your modem might be a winmodem. Winmodems uses software and your cpu's brain for connection tasks etc... These modems are much cheaper than hardware modems and are not good for games or programs that requir constant connections due to the fact that they bottleneck all the time (drop connection/timeouts etc....)

line noise can also mess up your connection speeds and you should use a phone cordn that is less than 10 feet long and away from any tv's or power supplies that can introduce more line noise.

You may need to buy a hardware modem to achieve optimum connection.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    It also could be the phone wire leading into your house has cracks.

I have a Conexant HSF V92 56k Data Fax PCI modem so I don't think it is a software or winmodem so perhaps it is some kind of line problem as you guys suggested.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    OH TRUST ME...it's a "winmodem". Most modems on the market today are. Let me go out on a limb and say that 100% of all OEM modems are. They are very susceptible to line anomolies, i.e. "DACs" (Digital to Analog Converters), PADS, filters, any type of line noise, and bad weather. Typically any number you connect to in Hyperterminal, regardless of modem speed, is gonna be a 28.8 max line, so all that will tell you is that it will connect and stay connected.
    If you are in an apartment, a rural area, and sometimes even sub-divisions the line speed may be decreased due to older lines, or possibly filters that are installed into the switch boxes on the phone lines. The phone company only has to guarantee a 24 baud connection and at best that is good enough for a poor voice connection. Like previously suggested, keep the internal lines as short as possible, bypass splitters and surge protectors, and if nothing else try the system at another location to determine if it's the modem or the phone lines.

I am going to relate information that I gained from a telephone engineer several years ago. Enough time has passed that some of the specifics are a little hazy.

I live in a very remote area. There is a telephone switch within 1000 feet of my house. When I built this house I was hopeful that the close switch would provide a good modem speed. That hope was fruitless. I never got a speed faster than 26,400. After many tweaks, I contacted the phone company. The engineer explained to me that the type switch (harmonic seems to sound right) breaks the bandwidth into many 32,000 kbps chunks. That speed becomes the theoritical top limit for dial-up modem speed at my house. He went on to say that you never get the theoritical speed. It is always slower.

In those days ISDN was available for $119/month. That lofty price would give me two chunks of bandwidth or 2 x 26,400. The phone company told me that they had no plans to change out that switch. That was when I decided to invest in satellite (which was and still is my only choice for broadband).

My advice is that if broadband is abailable, get it. It may cost a little more, however the additional enjoyment will be worth it. Cable and DSL are the best bet when they are available. If not check around to see if someone is providing wireless service to your area.

When you are on dial-up, you can realize faster page loading by adjusting the MTU. You can use a free utility DrTCP to make the adjustment. Set the MaxMTU to 576.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Efc is right on if you are in a pinch like that.However,if you don't want or can't pay the price for broadband and you can get extra speed then go to pricewatch.com and type in "Intel modems" and you will find a cheap hardware modem that runs at 44 to 48k compared to a software winmodem.This is my choice for a good inexpensive hardware modem.An expensive choice is an external US Robotics hardware modem(serial port).Here is a pic of the Intel hardware modem.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.