Thread: Is there any program that can allow me to...

Is there any program that can allow me to...

...have two internet connections and allow me to allocate different programs to the different internet connections.

Unless there is something that I don't understand about your question, no special program is needed. Connect your internet connection to a router then connect multiple computers to it. Some ISPs charge extra for additional connections. The fee is about $3.00 extra each month. Obviously you can run different programs on different computers.

You can also open multiple browsers or browser windows and accomplish a different task in each. You can also have programs running that depend on an internet connection. I often run a jet audio run radio program, a stock tracking program browsed the net and monitored my email accounts at the same time. If you have something specific in mind, you need to provide more details.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Like running 2 game servers you mean?

Ok, see, one of my connections is fast, but is firewalled and has a data transfer limit. This I want to use for browsing using opera.
    The other is a little slower but doesn't have any firewall or transfer limit. This I want to use for programs like emule, bittorrent, kazaa, etc.

Both the connections I want to use on the same computer. I have 3 lan cards.
    Last edited by Death; July 26th, 2004 at 05:26 AM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Some Programs have a LAN network / Internet settings where you can choose which device to use for internet ie LAN CARD #1 etc

But Im not aware of any mainstream progs like that ie for BT, kazaa etc

You could look into getting virtual PC and running different OS instances.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    virtual PC and running different OS instances.
    Virtual PC? You can actually switch between 2 OSes like atl+tab? Cool!

Oh, man! Virtual PC's from microsoft I dinn't bother looking any more into it. Will try later though.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Ok, see, one of my connections is fast, but is firewalled and has a data transfer limit. This I want to use for browsing using opera.
    The other is a little slower but doesn't have any firewall or transfer limit. This I want to use for programs like emule, bittorrent, kazaa, etc.

Both the connections I want to use on the same computer. I have 3 lan cards.
    Possibly use the proxy settings to route specific network traffic through IP addresses (sorry, my knowledge of this is theoritical but i think someone in this forum could help you).

Basically, you would route the Opera data through the IP address of the NIC with the fast connection. Then, eMule, bittorrent, etc you would proxy through the IP address that has the slow connection.

Ah, this just might be getting somewhere. Maybe I can use winroute pro or something.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    This is a bit tricky. You might want to look at WinVN or something and run different virtual PC sessions. In short, you're going to have to dedicate a few process to specific IP addresses. And you'll need to so this in "independent sessions". With WinVN (or some other virtual PC software), you'll be able to run 3 seperate OSes at the same time. Hopefully you have the resources to do that.

Another alternative is to look for some bandwidth allocation software to dedicate to Opera, Emule, etc....

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig