Thread: #2 - HP machine, disk bad

Question #2 - HP machine, disk bad

Hello again,

I advertised and sold my mother's computer. It left for a while, but it keeps coming back!!!!!!!!

This gentleman has this thing so screwed up, it has a subsystem error in blue and won't go anywhere, OS is ME. Anywhoooooo, I told him to bring his disks over, and he did. We go to reformat and......

The disk has a crack in it, it won't read it!!!!!!!

I called him and told him to call HP to try to get another copy of his software, that I can do nothing without a disk that will read. He called and said they told him they no longer have software for that particular system, he will have to junk it and buy a new one.

HA??????

Is there anyway to find out if someone else has copies of these disks? I'm not real good at surfing for stuff on these sites! The system is HP Pavillion 6835. Is is possible to find the software for this? There was nothing wrong with the disks when they left my house, I don't know what he did to them, but they will not read or burn.

Once again thanks in Advance!

Sharon

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I think finding these disks, if HP says they don't make them will be quite difficult. I searched ebay, google, and a few other spots.

I'd tell him to upgrade to windows XP home.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...&dlc=en&os=228

HP offers several drivers, bios upgrades, and firmware solutions. Windows ME is notorious for corruption. Put XP on it, and send it off without fail. You can purchase windows XP for next to nothing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...690224911&rd=1

You can pick up XP Home with SP1a for about $73+ shipping.

If the customer is not willing to upgrade to a new OS (I'd seriously recommend it), then you can get the retail version of windows ME for about $30-50 with shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...689945994&rd=1

Alternatively, you could go with Linux, but if the user is having issues with Windows, then linux might not be the way to go.

Either way, because he broke the restore CD, it is he who is responsible for the purchase of a replacement.

Update:

I just followed the directions on the HP site.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...dlc=en&lang=en

If your recovery discs originally came in the box and are now missing or have become defective and the computer is still under warranty, call HP Customer Care for a set replacement discs.

If your recovery discs are no longer under warranty period and are missing or defective, order new discs using the following steps:

NOTE: A credit card number is required for ordering recovery discs.

Go to the HP Partsurfer Web site . The Parts Direct Ordering Web site uses a secure connection to protect your privacy.

Select a country from the drop-down menu in the top-right corner of the page.

Type the model number of the HP Pavilion into the field labeled "Enter an HP Product Number or Name" (for example, 9995 or XE735) and click Submit. A Product Results Page appears.

Select Software from the Part Type list, and then click Submit.

A new page appears containing a list of all orderable software. This document only covers recovery kits. If the word recovery is not in the description or you can not select any quanity, then a recovery kit is not available for the computer. This can happen when the operating system on the recovery discs is obsolete and/or HP's supply of discs has run out.

Write down the part number of the recovery kit for future reference.

Type the quantity of recovery kits you wish to order (1) into the left field of the recovery kit part number. If you can not select any quanity, then a recovery kit is not available for the computer.

Click Order Selected Parts.

Read and fill out all of the screens that appear.

Only Software was not listed. I searched all parts and found:

Manual [Other Accessories]
    5065-5403 15.94
    Windows ME (Millennium Edition) Quick Start Guide, no certificate of authenticity - English (X06-03696)

I believe that is what you are needing.. not too sure though.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi...%3F&catsel=%3F

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Good job Boogs...

Thank you sooooooo much BB! I will attempt to track down the software with the links you provided! I'd hoped it was not dead.......yet.

Once again, thanks!

Sharon

No Dice, No software

Thanks a bunch BB, but there is no software available as you mentioned. There has got to be SOMEBODY out there that has the same system or has these recovery disks. This man will not sink another dime into this computer, including XP.

Isn't there some strange person out there who has a catalog of recovery disks that these companies no longer make? I seem him as being much like the guy in the movie "One Crazy Summer" who for the entire movie waited and waited and called and called the radio station until he finally got through to win something and then the cord came off of the phone....lol

No but really, is there someone out there like this that has these things? Its a last ditch effort and worth a try.

Thanks for your trouble,
    Sharon

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...690658706&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...689788430&rd=1

Not sure if they will work with your particular model or not.

Try that.. but by the time you pay $20 + shipping for a recovery CD for windows ME, he'd be a lot better off with a full XP home or pro CD.

But if finances are tight for him I can understand. However, you gotta pay to play.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    can you put an old version of win 98 or millenium and download all the drivers?

seems the easiest and no windows activation so no need to worry
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I agree with egghead. Just throw 98 on there and get the drivers from HP.