Thread: Will there be any PCI Express Add On cards?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Will there be any PCI Express Add On cards?

I have a decent system and am not planning on upgrading to a new one for at least 1 year.. if not 2. Will it be possible to add a PCI Express card to a regular PCI slot?

If not, must we all upgrade our motherboards?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I could see an addon but the bandwidth of the slot would not get you the performance.

Even if they used 2 slots it would not be great.

anyone with more info?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    From what I have heard there will not be any add-on cards, at least not at first. It will be a MB upgrade.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    I have a decent system and am not planning on upgrading to a new one for at least 1 year.. if not 2.
    I'm in the same boat, my PC is so fast now I wonder why I even think of upgrading....it's a trap, vanity or keep up with the Jones syndrome we suffer

I don't know how a PCI-e card would work, wouldn't it be restricted to the AGP or PCI buss spec's if it were pluged into them ? Does anything even push the AGP buss to it's limits now ?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well look whos back. so how did your son do? off topic.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I dont think there will be any addon cards for PCI Express. At least there arent any now.

As for moving to a PCI Express MB now...I'll wait. I was shopping for PC parts over the weekend and was looking at the cards. Nothing really noteworthy out there. The only thing that I'm looking for is the 4GB transfer rate of the Vid cards. But currently, there's no great PCI Express vid card out there.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I'll stick with AGP.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    I'm in the same boat, my PC is so fast now I wonder why I even think of upgrading....it's a trap, vanity or keep up with the Jones syndrome we suffer

I don't know how a PCI-e card would work, wouldn't it be restricted to the AGP or PCI buss spec's if it were pluged into them ? Does anything even push the AGP buss to it's limits now ?
    As of yet, the current top video cards are already being limited by the AGP slot, thats what some website says. But compare the ATi Radeon X800 XT Plantinum Edition and the PCI-e edition. The Plantinum IS better than the PCI-e. It is also true that even if you have the PCI-e version of the video card, it won't give much performace difference compared to the AGP version. This is becasue both are built on the same chipset and also, PCI-e is very new to the PC market. Thus it hasn't been expolited yet. I am not even sure if there are PCI-e versions of Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

Basically, either the AGP or PCI-e versions for a PC will perform almost the same unless you have those 10K type of video cards for Media editing. Like the recent Creative 3DLab.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield