Thread: how can you get rid of a user password if you don't know it

how can you get rid of a user password if you don't know it

and i can't get into the system thing right when you turn on the computer and you have to press the F1 key. my mom said that if i did put a password on she said something about the bio's. which i have no idea what they are.
    so please help me. also i have windows 2k.
    Last edited by zsaur; July 27th, 2004 at 17:31 PM.

Last edited by efc; July 26th, 2004 at 19:59 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

i have been given a computer with windows 95 on i want to load windows 98 when i go to the setup screen to get it to boot from the disc it asks for a password, which i don't know, i've tried pressing enter and escape but this doesn't work,any ideas what i can do to get/over ride the password?

Quote Originally Posted by judip
    i have been given a computer with windows 95 on i want to load windows 98 when i go to the setup screen to get it to boot from the disc it asks for a password, which i don't know, i've tried pressing enter and escape but this doesn't work,any ideas what i can do to get/over ride the password?
    The description of the problem is a little vague. Therefore my answer will cover two possibilities.

If the password request is part of the original win 95 setup, the pw must be entered before you gain access to the desktop. Often this screen will appear when there is no user password actually configured. There will be a user name in the top block and a blank space for typing the pw. If no pw is configured, you can press enter to continue. If this fails press the escape key. Once you are in the desktop there are a number of ways to proceed.
    For a clean install, format the drive and then install Win 98.

If it is the authorization key you need, there is no way past that. You have to have the key. It is a 20 digit key that comes with the windows disk and documentation.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition