Thread: Day Date Time Programs

Day Date Time Programs

Does anyone have suggestions for a small (preferably free) program that would simply display a line (or maybe 2 lines) on my desktop that would read like this Monday, 7/26/04, 9:48 PM. And of course change with time.

I realize that I can get this info by positioning my mouse over the time in my systray but I wouldn't mind if all the info would just be there all the time.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Wumply, if you move your taskbar up so that it takes 2 spaces instead of one, (like double the size, that information is there by default.

Like This

BB...I managed, by dechecking "Lock the toolbar" to get 3 spaces of my systray/toolbar. But I cannot get 2 spaces. It just jumps, when I drag the double-headed arrow, from 1 space to 3. Or vv. Systray icons, and the full day date are neatly clustered together in the 2.5 right inches of the taskbar--in 3 neat rows.

Any idea what's going on--what I can do? I'ml using XP.

BB:

I was thinking too. I thought it would be nice to send you a screenshot of what I described. So I hit the PrintScreen key--no problem. Then I tried to attach it and, of course, had to state where the printscreen file was. Where IS it kept? I'd thought it would be on the clipboard but when I followed the path to the clipboard and clicked clipboard.exe (the icon in System 32), I got told that exe was not an acceptable file type--not unexpected. How DO I send you a screenshot other than pasting it into an ordinary email?

that is strange. Do you have the quick launch present? If so, I suggest grabbing the dotted lines to the right of the Quick Launch (assuming the quick launch is selected and is placed near the start button), then drag the dotted lines for the open windows items below the quick launch like in my picture above. That should open only 2 spaces for the taskbar. If not, might I ask are you using large icons for the quick launch? If so, then I think it migh default to three spaces.. not too sure though.

Alternatively, you can try rainlender, which will put a calendar right on your desktop. It is very customizable and several TZ users use this program:

http://www.downseek.com/download/25045.asp

To post a screenshot on here, simply press the print screen button on your keyboard, then open MS paint (start, all programs, accessories, paint), click edit then click paste. Then click file at the top left in paint, click save as. Then choose JPG for file type, not BMP (too large).. Then save it to the directory of your choosing. I put it on my desktop for quick reference.

Then add it as an attachment to your message here. Or host it through a free imaging host. Either way will work.
    Last edited by Big Booger; July 27th, 2004 at 04:26 AM.

Are those icons next to your START button your Quick Launch icons. Because the up-down width of your toolbar in your screenshot IS the same as mine after I checked Quick Launch. I now have about 5 Quick Launch buttons that just appeared--I've never used them before...didn't even have Quick Launch checked. So it's only that my systray icons that have arranged themselves in 3 neat rows in the right corner area of the toolbar as I noted. ???????

Do I have to have the Quick Launch icons there in order to get the double size toolbar so that I can see day, date, and time at a glance without having to hover the mouse over the time?

My icons in the sys tray are in three neat rows as well. No you don't need the quick launch.

Take a look at the image below:

No Quick Launch, Double taskbar, 3 rows of icons in system tray

quick launch is an easy way to organize most used programs. I use it all the time, instead of going to the desktop or start menu. It's just faster.
    Last edited by Big Booger; July 27th, 2004 at 05:48 AM.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    thats how I have mine too. on auto hide so when I have a window open doesn't take the space.

BB: Thanks for all you help. I'm attaching a printscreen of what I ended up with--exactly whatl I want...I found this little program, TClockEx on the net. Click systray day-date-time and it brings up a calendar (small...very neat.) And I decided I preferred the single space taskbar and TClockEx fits in very nicely--all info at a glance. Looked at Rainlender but it was detailed beyond my needs. Appreciated the instructions on attaching a printscreen.

Nevermind. I see it now. Glad you got it sorted. At 1280X1024 two spaces actually looks better than one I think. And with large quick launch icons, it looks swell.

But on my laptop 800X600 I never do that.. it takes up too much space. But you can auto hide just like phish says and it works wonderfully well.

Good you saw my printscreen. But 1280 x 1084...doesn't that make everything on your monitor screen very, very small? I would find that hard to read even though I have 20/30 vision (or close) with my glasses (trifocals).

I do have another and important question. You use QuickLaunc--I never bothered. I assume that has to be SIGNIFICANTLY quicker than a desktop icon but is it any quicker than having icons in the systray?

PS: An aside; So often I wish I could emphasize a word by underlining instead of using caps. I know I could do this with Vb and normal reply mode (not Quick Reply) but even there you have to enter and . I need a key on my keyboard that would underline just as the Caps Lock key capitalizes.

On another note, have you heard Hayley Westenra's album Pure and/or her "Amazing Grace." (I ask because you're in Japan.) Quite a phenomenon-I read she has performed in Japan which is why I thought you might have heard her. I've 2 of her CDs. Her soprano voice is amazing and indeed pure and in videos she is so natural and unaffected--it's refreshing! Pure topped NZ charts for 18 weeks and was #1 in the UK.
    If you heard her, did you like her?

wumply

My last reply, 3rd. pragraph, should have read "You have to enter and ..."
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Apparently in Quick Reply I can NOT just enter forward slashes and U's surrounded by square brackets...Apparently the software demands a word or phrase be between the brackets.