Thread: Optimum C:\ Partition Size for XP?

Best Size C: Partition for Win XP?

I'm going to do a clean installation of XP in the next few days, so I have a chance to rethink my partition sizes on an 80Gb drive. I typically just put the OS in it's own partition, then I create a couple other partitions for programs, data and downloads.

But my specific question is only about the C: partition for Windows XP. Is XP happiest with a fairly small partition - say 8GB? Or does it really matter?

Thanks!
    Michael
    Last edited by MailManX; July 28th, 2004 at 00:08 AM. Reason: Clarification

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    From what I have seen the partition size makes no diference, as long as (obviously) it's large enough for the OS and the few things that require being installed to the c partition. Personally I would do about 10-15 gb of that drive.

That's kind of what I figured. I was curious as to whether any hard data exists to support a specific size range. Barring that, I was curious to find out what size other people are using for the boot partition.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I use 2 drives, 1 main the other for storage, I leave both unpartitioned.

Conan, that gives me an idea. I have an older, but still excellent 30 gig hard drive just sitting on the shelf right now (7200 rpm & 8Mb buffer). Maybe I'll put it to use and the C: drive with the OS, the page file and the programs together on that. Then I can use the 80 gig drive as the slave drive for my music and data. That way the drive heads aren't jumping around like they have to do with partitions.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MailManX
    Conan, that gives me an idea. I have an older, but still excellent 30 gig hard drive just sitting on the shelf right now (7200 rpm & 8Mb buffer). Maybe I'll put it to use and the C: drive with the OS, the page file and the programs together on that. Then I can use the 80 gig drive as the slave drive for my music and data. That way the drive heads aren't jumping around like they have to do with partitions.
    Good idea.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    So...why not put in the second drive the music, data and the page file?
    You will probably benefit more with the page file in a separate drive than the OS even if you are always playing music (as I do).
    I have seen 15 GB partition full. And then you cannot go back

my father's computer has only 10 GB on his computer and he has 2 OS
    1)win 98
    2)win xp pro
    8 GB are good for win xp dispite that the OS itself take only 2 GB
    but the "program files" dir is regularly big

I just don't bother partitioning my drive, I think its a bit of a hassle. I'll rather have more drives than partitions.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Don't partition at all. Instead use the "subst" command. subst "drive letter" "Path you want to be a drive" eg: subst d: c:\GamesDrv You'll have to make a bat file and put it in the startup so that you don't have to type the command everytime you start windows.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    That is a great Tip Death. We should probably put it with the Windows tips and Tricks
    Also, it would be better if we can get instructions to make it a service, so there is no need to have a batch in the start menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dehcbad25
    Also, it would be better if we can get instructions to make it a service, so there is no need to have a batch in the start menu
    I said startup, not start menu. That way it will load when windows starts. You can make a batch file and then go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run with regedit. Create a new string, name it whatever you want and put the location of the batch file as the value data. Or maybe you could also just copy the batch file to the startup folder or use a program to put it in the startup.