Thread: Computer Restarts... a lot!

Computer Restarts... a lot!

Hey all,

I'm trying to help my buddy out with his puter. The computer (self-built) restarts and locks up all the time, which is a big problem because he uses ProTools to record our band, and we can't have it restarting all the time. I'm about 99% sure this is a hardware problem because there's no blue screens, however, there usually are error reports when Windows gets back up and running. Here is a sample error report:

BCCode : a BCP1 : 8004C358 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
    BCP4 : 804EFB47 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072804-02.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Ed\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

Any ideas? As I said I'm pretty sure its a hardware problem, but I know diagnosing hardware problems is a pain in the neck especially when you have no idea where to start. I've already put in a higher wattage power supply which didnt fix the problem and I've swapped the RAM chips.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Take care.

The first thing I would suspect is a cpu overheating problem. Things to check on this (self-built) computer.

1. Is the heat sink and fan appropriately rated for the cpu?
    2. Did he use thermal grease and was it properly applied? Instructions
    3. Does the case need additional case fans?
    4. Is there good airflow through the case?
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I added another fan to the case, and the case is not really that cluttered, so I don't really think airflow is the problem. The heatsink/fan assembly presumably came with the processor which shouldn't really be a problem. My buddy had a DVD +/- RW added which he says are when the problems started. I don't see why that would cause problems, it plays CDs, burns, etc. just fine. The IDE cable was in use before it was added so I don't think its a bad IDE cable either. And I know its not the power supply because I just went from a 300W to a 400W.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrave50
    Hey all,

I'm trying to help my buddy out with his puter. The computer (self-built) restarts and locks up all the time, which is a big problem because he uses ProTools to record our band, and we can't have it restarting all the time. I'm about 99% sure this is a hardware problem because there's no blue screens, however, there usually are error reports when Windows gets back up and running. Here is a sample error report:

BCCode : a BCP1 : 8004C358 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
    BCP4 : 804EFB47 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072804-02.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Ed\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

Any ideas? As I said I'm pretty sure its a hardware problem, but I know diagnosing hardware problems is a pain in the neck especially when you have no idea where to start. I've already put in a higher wattage power supply which didnt fix the problem and I've swapped the RAM chips.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Take care.
    I'll differ here and tend to think that this might be software related. I would start off by deleting all temp files in the directory that you posted along with the C:Windows/Temp folder.

I had such a problem because of a modem driver ,but I fixed it by downloading newer driver then I had.

hope I helped .