Thread: Crashing on windows xp boot up off CD

Exclamation Crashing on windows xp boot up off CD

I have just purchased a MSI PT880 motherboard with a P4 CPU with 800fsb, I have put the machine together amd Iím having a problem booting off the Windows XP CD.

I have set the first boot device to my DVDR when booting up from the CD to install windows, the computer crashes some time on the blue start up screen when it loads windows components or the first stage of the windows boot up. Either way it only gets about 10 seconds in to the installation untill it freezes from clicking any button to boot off the CDÖ..

All my hardware has been checked from the ram to the hard drive I have also checked the Windows CD.

The only thing I can put it down to is a faulty motherboard can any1 confirm this.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    make sure you have the bios set to default try booting with only the vid card, cdrom connected. also in the bios make sure that the acpi is disabled. that one stumped me for days. thought it was a bad mobo too.

Try shuting down the modem while installing

I had a problem wich the windows called "bad pool caller", I first thought it was the graphic card but it turned out to be the modem.
    self assembled computers are better .

hope I helped .

9 times out of 10 that's a memory problem. Especially if you get an error that says it can't copy a file.

Are you running dual channel memory? If so...try just running one stick of memory. Your memory may not be bad...it just may not be matched to run in dual channel mode.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unclerooster
    9 times out of 10 that's a memory problem. Especially if you get an error that says it can't copy a file.

Are you running dual channel memory? If so...try just running one stick of memory. Your memory may not be bad...it just may not be matched to run in dual channel mode.
    I agree, it's probably memory related. Try raising your memory voltage to 2.7.

In order to mass with the power of the devices you need to be a "real" pro in computer fixing otherwise you will "burn" the device.
    I say that those how build the BIOS know exactly what power is needed for every device.
    There are special cases in which you need to change the power BIOS but that should have been done be the company that build your computer be your request.

somebody succeed in burning something in his computer? if so let me know.

Just a thought but it might be havin trouble w\the DVDRom drive. Have you tried booting from just a CDRom drive?

patio.

Quote Originally Posted by ilyail3
    In order to mass with the power of the devices you need to be a "real" pro in computer fixing otherwise you will "burn" the device.
    I say that those how build the BIOS know exactly what power is needed for every device.
    There are special cases in which you need to change the power BIOS but that should have been done be the company that build your computer be your request.

somebody succeed in burning something in his computer? if so let me know.
    No you don't need to be a Pro, you need to listen to Pro's like me who know what they're doing. Anyone using DDR400 or higher will most likely run into this problem because the stock memory voltage of 2.5 is too low and normally results in memory errors.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I'm wondering if its the acpi in the bios is turned on. try disabling that also.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    No you don't need to be a Pro, you need to listen to Pro's like me who know what they're doing.
    , I agree with Conan

Run Memtest 86 and check your memory.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    , I agree with Conan

Run Memtest 86 and check your memory.
    He-he, I knew you would back me up if you saw this thread!