Thread: Active Directory question

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Active Directory question

I am setting up policies with Active Directory.
    To be precise, we have a MAIN policy which covers everyobject in the Active Directory, from there different organizational units are created, and as such are affected by the main policy. This main policy for example has password requirement to be 4 character to minimum.
    So, I want to increase the minimum to 8 characters, but I don't want to make the change global for one thing, and for another, I don't want to change the main policy (not good idea).
    To do this, I created an organizational unit (lets called it, "password test") and in that GU I put a user that will test it (myself)
    I created a new policy and in this policy I want to focus on increasing the password minumum requirement and as such, I selected 8 characters minimum.
    Alright, I have restarted PC many times, I even tried entering wrong password 4 times (so, it checks with the DC for changes) and the new policy hasn't take effect yet.
    I am thinking that another policy is overwritting the changes, so for "Password test" GU I blocked the inheritance for policy. Still no luck. So, I actually added the other policies too, and put the policy with the password increased on top (for higher priority) and still NADA.
    Maybe someone can give me a hint?
    Thanks

Perhaps you've applied the 4 character minimum policy to the entire domain?
    Man AD can be so screwy...may the force be with you and please post whatever you find back on here.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Yes the 4 character minimum is applied to the whole domain, but I should be able to overwrite it. I have bloacked inheritance also, so it shouldn't affect it. RIGHT!!!