Thread: Login problem

Login problem

Hi everyone! When I turn my computer on everything is OK until the list of users should be displayed. But instead of that there is a black screen displayed and I cannot log in. Does anybody know what's wrong? Please let me know. It's very important.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez. Is it a black screen with a blinking cursor or what exactly? What have you recently added or changed on the system?

Few days ago situation was like this:
    When I tried to start my Windows XP Pro in Normal Mode I couldn't log in because there was a black screen instead of list of users displayed so I couldn't type my password. But everything worked fine in Safe Mode.

Situation is like this right now:

I did a Repair of my Windows XP Pro and now i am able to log in but only sometimes. Sometimes there is the same problem as before.

Whan I was doing the Repair there was a message which said that Windows cannot install drivers for my Nvidia Riva TNT2 video card from Windows XP instalation CD because they don't appreciate new Windows XP standards. Then I downloaded new drivers from Nvidia web site and when I was updating drivers the same message arrived. One guy on another forum told me that there might be a problem with my video card drivers.

Do you have any suggestions ?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Well at this point anything is possible. Video drivers historically have caused lots of problems within windows, but if it was working fine and then this began I would look more closely at things you may have installed or connected to the computer. Was anything else changed?

I've installed new Nvidia graphic drivers and everything is working properly right now. Thanks for your suggestions.

Angry Same Again please..

Hi all,

Im having the same problems as the previous poster, except the latest drivers dont seem to have done anything.

When this machine boots, it should get to the usual login page and im presented with a black screen, and the HD light seems to just stop, as if nothing else is going on.

Yeah, my problem is the same as the last guys, previously this machine had a Nvidia GeForce 2, and I upgraded it to a Nvidia GeForce 4MX, and after a re-boot it seemed fine. I also think it worked for a few boots after that, but it just died after my brother moved the machine across the room, and put it back (without messing with anything internal). It seems to work fine is safe mode, but when I run dxdiag, it has alot of trouble finding anything.

So far ive tried:
    Physically removing & reinstalling the card
    Install the Latest Nvidia drivers (from Nvidia)
    Install the Lastest Nvidia Drivers (from card manufacturer)
    Uninstalling Direct X 9.0b
    Re-installing DX version <9.0b
    Installing DX 9.0c
    System restore (multiple dates)

Im also considering buying a new graphics card, thinking that it maybe a hardware failure on the card.

Any suggestions will be very welcome.

Ldwater