Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipods Illegal in Australia...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Ipods Illegal in Australia...

Apple's iPod digital music player may be the hottest electronic toy in the world, but it has almost no legal use in Australia, writes Julian Lee.

The next time The Clash's I Fought the Law is blaring away on your Apple iPod music player, savour the irony that not only are you likely to be an outlaw - you are getting away with it with the help of one of the world's biggest brands.

You are not alone. There are 100,000 of you across the country and the police aren't coming after you. Yet.

Apple's iPod is the Sony Walkman of the new century. In the 1980s, Sony's cassette player revolutionised music by making it portable. Today Apple and others have eliminated the tape and have taken the Walkman digital. An iPod owner can copy hundreds - even thousands - of songs from CDs onto a box the size of a cigarette packet.

More than 100,000 Australians listen to music on such digital music players. Retailers cannot stock them fast enough. There is just one problem.

Most people know it is illegal to download songs from the internet without paying. But far fewer people know it is illegal to copy music from a CD you have legally bought.

Anyone who has copied songs from a CD onto an iPod or computer hard drive has fallen foul of Australian copyright laws, which critics argue are failing to keep pace with technological change. Copying music for personal use is generally OK in the US and Europe. But not in Australia.
    View the Full Story

Sounds kind of silly to me... but the law is the law.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Oh no...it is kind of silly...dont think it's really adhered to.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Be careful down there supa...I haven't found a way to email a cake with a file in it yet.

Hahaha...nice one rik. I appreciate the concern

Titanium Member
    If ipods are outlawed then only outlaws will have ipods

Ack - As you know I live in Australia as well, and know lots of people with iPods.

Like Supa said - Just another law that no-one pays any attention too

But interesting article BB- cheers.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Yea, I think this law should be changed especially if the majority of Aussies ignore it.

im in Australia, and i can see why ipods are illegal, but what about the mp3 player?

its like.... why make mp3 players?
    so you can download "illegal" music/mp3s.

what else is an mp3 player for?

lots of people wont even know how to convert ur music on cds to mp3, they just know how to download..

the only reason for people buying ipod is to store their downloaded music... why else?

i dont really care about ipods or mp3 players, cause i dont listen to music much.
    i just like to play counter-strike online

Where abouts in Aust are you Detekt?? (Off topic i know...but eh... )

north-west of sydney

near parramatta

im in Australia, and i can see why ipods are illegal, but what about the mp3 player?

its like.... why make mp3 players?
    so you can download "illegal" music/mp3s.

what else is an mp3 player for?

lots of people wont even know how to convert ur music on cds to mp3, they just know how to download..

the only reason for people buying ipod is to store their downloaded music... why else?

i dont really care about ipods or mp3 players, cause i dont listen to music much.
    i just like to play counter-strike online
    There are alot of legitimate pay to download websites now. As there is also mp3.com for free music.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I live in Australia too, own an IPOD but bought the CDs in USA and converted/loaded them in mp3 onto the ipod while at the airport in LA ?! What happens then?

@detekt, I used to live near Thornleigh, next to the big national park.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

It's also illegal to tape (for the younger people - a tape is an old analog recording device ) music from the radio . Or video television (video is like a big tape), but hey - who does it and gets caught - hrmm..

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

I believe it's illegal to overtake the man with a flag walking in front of those newfangled horseless carriage thingies. I'm sure that can't be right, eh z3n. I mean what's the point of purchasing some big black turbocharged foreign coupe when you aren't allowed to inhume some J-walker. It's not cricket

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Perhaps we should start another thread to list all the useless or most-ignored laws around the globe.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---