Thread: in need of Zone Alarm Pro UnInstall Help

in need of Zone Alarm Pro UnInstall Help

While attempting try Zone Alarms free download, I inadvertantly selected the Pro version "15 day trial".

Nothing but trouble from it since, doesn't allow me to access the internet. My AOL loads but can't go anywhere else.

I have been turning it off to get net access but the trial will run out soon and I worried I'll have conflicts so..

I wanted to uninstall it but couldn't find how how.

I did a Google on uninstalling it and I think I'm in trouble. It looks like if I don't unload it properly, I'll really be in trouble!

Does anybody know how to uninstall this properly. I've read things like : Uncheck Windows start, search and deleted files with these extensions...

I'm so lost, can someone out there help a person that is just barely computer literate?

Thanks,
    Heidi

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hi 1stwave,

welcome to Techzonez!

You can uninstall Zonealarm using the add/remove software wizard in Windows XP.

Click the start menu and select run and type,

control

This will take yo uto the control panel.

In control panel select "add/remove programs"

choose zonealarm and it will start the removal process.
    Once you have uninstalled it it will ask you to reboot.
    After reboot zonealarm will be gone from your system.

Cheers
    Egghead
    vbmenu_register("postmenu_66366", true);
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Egghead,

Thanks for the welcome and response...

Do I not have to worry about checking to see if certain files are gone or "unchecking" Windows...whatever that means

All the best,
    1stwave

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    after the uninstall you will not need to worry about any files in the program folder.

The program will be uninstalled from your computer.

Cheers
    egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the timely response Egghead.

I'm going to back up my files and try it later.

Thanks,
    1stwave

Titanium Member
    I saw this maybe to add to egghead's post

The keys to successfully uninstalling Zone Alarm is to make sure it is not running while uninstalling and plenty of reboots. What I mean is this:

First, with ZA running, opening its user interface (Control Center) by right-clicking on the ZA icon in the systray and restoring its control center. Select the "Overview" panel > "Preferences" tab > and uncheck the "Load ZoneAlarm Pro at startup" option. There should be a popup asking to confirm this action which you need to allow. This will ensure that at the next reboot ZA is not started.

Then reboot the PC (this is important!). Verify that ZA has not started and even check in Task Manager (ctrl alt del) to ensure none of these is present: zonealarm, zapro, zaclient or vsmon.

Now simply use the Add/Remove Programs uninstall option to deinstall ZA. If you've prevented it from starting and rebooted first, then you should get a clean uninstall.

Reboot after the uninstall, if it didn't force you to reboot on its own, and check for files. There should not be any, but just in case look in: \Program Files\Zone Labs\ and under Windows\Internet Logs\ and Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\

Almost all problems uninstalling Zone Alarm are related to it either being running or having its files locked because they were running during the current booted session, which is why I advise the preventing of loading at startup and a reboot prior to even trying to uninstall it.
    Or ZA forums: http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs

Got it

thanks for your help in this program removal. Everything is perfect!