Thread: XPpro install problem

Question XPpro install problem

hi, i just recently formatted my pc and am trying to get xp back on to my pc but it won't install, it only get as far as the screen just after the bit where it says checkint system hardware. the system doesn't hang, it just sits on a blue screen with windows setup in the top left! i have removed items and changed a few to no avail, but i then tried to install 2kpro onto to my system and it installed fine i have even tried upgrading the 2k to XPpro but it just stalls the system on the 1st reboot... any suggestions? (btw 2k is working ok, cept for a few issues with my audigy 2!)
    my setup
    P4-3.06HT
    2x128mb pc1066 rambus
    2x256mb pc 1066 rambus
    Gigabyte GA 8I-HXP
    2xWD 74gb Raptors (raid 0)
    1x120gb wd caviar (8mb cache)
    radeon 9700pro
    Audigy 2
    pioneer 107 dvd-rw
    yamaha F1 cd-rw
    hauupage wintv NOVA pci
    adaptec 1210sa SATA raid pci
    350watt Antec smart blue psu.

any help would be appreciated.. i don't like 2k that much

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    first off did you install the sata drivers. next I would take out all your cards except the video. then set your bios to default or safe mode then try to install it. during the install it will ask if you need to install any third party raid drivers.

ok, i tried like u asked, all i had connected was my gfx, dvd, hdd ( i removed the sata drives) and reset the bios to fail safe mode. i got the same problem as i did before. . the install never gets to the section about drivers.
    Last edited by D3CYPH3R; August 11th, 2004 at 14:12 PM.

now what if you only use 1 stick of ram and run memtest on it to make sure its a good stick. then try it. also disable the apci in the bios.

also do you have a 2nd xp cd you could try and just use your key to verify that the media is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    now what if you only use 1 stick of ram and run memtest on it to make sure its a good stick. then try it. also disable the apci in the bios.
    I'm running rambus... it has to be dual channel, and i can't for the life of me find any terminators to even just run 1 pair but i'll try the mem test on it all :/

also the media is straight out of the packet.. i know this doesn't mean it is perfect, but there is a vry good chance it is.

well i don't know how long u are supposed to run that memtest for but i ran 10 passes on all my memory and it came up with no errors any other ideas?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    have you verified that the XP disk that you have works? I mean have you tried to use it to install XP on any other machine? Have you tried using a different drive to install XP with, like using the CDRW drive rather than the DVD drive?

did you disable the acpi in the bios?

I can't find acpi in the bios, i have checked the cd and it appears to work fine, i have tried another copy a freind lent me and i get the same problem, and i have tried the cd in another drive, and tried copying it to my hdd, but i get the same problem.

Check in your bios if u have something called performance acceleration technology enabled(PAT) if so that may be the issue. It's worth a shot and that setting may be set as the default setting.

Also, this could be graphic related. do you have another GPU to try? If not, try setting it in 4X mode in the bios. It could be that your radeon is hanging the system at 8X.
    Last edited by Big Booger; August 11th, 2004 at 16:55 PM.

finally sorted it! it ended up being a usb headder for my case, for some reason when it's attached xp won't install, but once i got it installed i can reconnect it and it runs fine! the weirdest thing ever! thanx to u guys for all the help u gave me

That is strange.

Glad you got it sorted.