Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supersize me: I'm never eating fastfood again

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Supersize me: I'm never eating fastfood again

Sorry to say but I have just eaten my last McDeath Meal. Last night I got a McGrand set, and some fish dippers and that will be my last fastfood meal until I die.

It is obvious that fastfood is killing us. I won't touch the crap again. I know that what Morgan Spurlock did was extreme, but it cannot be ignored simply because he overdid it. I mean there is some truth to the unhealthiness of McGrub.

Also, that guy who ate like 19,000 Big Macs was and has to be an anomaly. But you notice how it said he seldom eats french fries and probably doesn't drink any soft drink.

I'm done. I won't go to any of the fastfood chains again.

Have any of you seen it? If so what are your thoughts?

ok......... how about....try KFC

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I know what you mean, but it's more the convenience of it that gets my family to those places.

Banned
    I recommend Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation:
    http://tinyurl.com/45hew
    If reading that doesn't put you off then nothing will.

I just can't go to another fastfood restaurant again. KFC, Taco Bell, well maybe subway. I won't go to Wendy's, Jack in The box, Checkers, Burger King, Hardees, any of that crap. I might go to Schlotzsky's Deli as it is much like subway.

I and my wife haven't cooked in about 6 months. We go out nearly every night. Unless we are invited to dinner or something like that. That has changed. From tonight on, we are cooking.

I wished they had a healthy place to eat that offered cheap, fast and tasty organic food... Here in Japan we have a couple places like that luckily. But it is not so cheap.

I am sick of fastfood. In college everyday of the week I went to fastfood, one because I was poor and two because it was fast and close by.

Nikto, I just purchased Fast Food Nation. Sounds interesting.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I only eat at rubio's, panda express, pickup stix, and subway. those stores cook fresh no MSG's. I ate KFC one time and never again. lets just say fire in the hole from both ends.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Stir Fry!! It's easy, it's fun, it tastes great, easy to clean up afterwards, and it's good for you!

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Yep, Chinese food it is fast and a lot healthier than BK or MacD. Only problem, American Chinese food is not as healthy as Chinese, Chinese.
    I remember eating Chinese food in Japan and I never had stomach ache, here, I am not crawling, but I feel uneasy for a while.
    Taco Bell, well, that $h#@ cannot be good for you, there is plenty of studies that show that TB uses laxity. I only ate once there, and I was so sorry (and taking the bus, so it took me a while to get back home)
    McDonald's. A 6 year old girl died in Argentina for food poisoning some months ago. I know a .....(I have no idea what she is but she does the study on food to approve for the government) and they always find McDonald's meat not adept for human consumption. The problem, is that those analysis take 48 hours. IT takes only 18 hours for the meat to be consumed, so there is no more proof, and you need the proof to show where it gets bad. If it is in transport, in the frigorific, the cow was sick, or during processing. The reality is that the chain has a notion about it and do nothing. And to top it off, Argentina has a great meat production, but the meat of McD is not from Argentina (all other chains used 100% arg meat)
    I like Arby's with its mix of deli and BK. Subway is OK, but lately has a laxative effect on me, so I am doubting it. Best Fast Food? WAWA. WHY?? well, it can be other place, I just can't remember another chain right now
    Wawa has Bagel, subs and the like, but, they also have fresh fruits, and vegetables, that you can just pick, wash and eat. Not even have to wait for it to cook
    Of course, the choice is in the costumer, if you go and pick a bacon, egg, cheese and ham bagel it does you no good. Still Wawa at least puts the time it was cooked, giving me some rest about freshness.
    I take to work usually food from the night before, so basically I only cook once a day (if that) and if I don't have any leftover, I just wash some baby carrots and take them. (I am still about 20 pounds overweight from my normal weight while I was in Arg, but only like 5 for what is consider normal)

Well I finished Fast Food Nation, and all I can say is even now more than ever I will never eat at fast food again.. It is sickening.. The food itself, the corporations, the way they treat workers.. who they hire.. their "rallies" aka retreats where they get together and talk about how best to make people sick and fat, and make money off of that...

It was said that Subway treated it's franchisee's the worst, and in turn their employees got the s*&# end of the stick..

The sections on the feedlots and slaughterhouses to the way they are anti-union to the point of it nearly being illegal.. despite how one would feel about a union, their methods to stop unionification is down right dirty...

And then not to go into it too deeply but how that culture, the corporate franchise spreads like herpes all over the globe infecting country after country..

I got so inspired I went ahead and read another fantastic book, FAT LAND

Buy it below:
    BUY ME

Your attitude about fastfood, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Palm Oil, soft drinks (aka Diabetes Inducers), and so on will change...

The book does lull in a few spots but overall it was amazing.. everything from why minorities especially blacks and latinos have a higher obesity rate than other groups to how invasive branded items like McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, Coke, and Pepsi have infiltrated the classroom.. where Dominos Pizza's logos are used in textbooks... to logos being printed on buses... vending machines at every nook and cranny... In my day, soda was banned from school, and our lunches were cooked by the cafeteria workers... it tasted bland compared to the salty substitutes that tempt our taste buds, but it was healthy.. and met the requirements for nutrition..

Read, get educated, and your life will change forever.

I last ate in a fast food restaurant about 2 years ago. It was a Pizza Hut if i'm not mistaken.

Since then i have read and seen plenty about the fast food industry that have made me never want to go there again. There have been several documentaries over here about the horrific lack of hygene in places like KFC, McDonalds and Pizza Hut (Pizza Hut came out the worst of all of them), and i'm talking mouse s*** and cockroaches all over the place.

But then, equally bad, were good restaurants, mostly because they didn't give a damn about how they stored their rubbish, and rats etc would get into it and then migrate into the kitchens. I think they found some dead rat babies somewhere.

So, the morale of the story? Don't ever eat out (at least not in London) whether it be a restaurant or a take-away or a fast food restaurant. Always make your own meals with the best ingredients so you know it's safe, and keep away from reconstituted meats (burgers, sausages, chicken nuggets etc). It may be a tough morale, but for the most paranoid among us, it's a lesson well worth remembering.

(P.S. please remember that it is your RIGHT to inspect the kitchens of a restaurant, at least in Britain)

Greatly appreciated Z3N!!!

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    If we ate like that, we would have to turn to smoking or other adictions to reduce our life spam and support our doctors
    People that I know eat right, never visit a doctor, and can get pretty old
    That is a problem that Japan has, right BB?
    I read somewhere (funny web page about Japan) that Japanese people smoke a lot because they are afraid to get so old

Aye that stuff will kill you - I'm sticking to the 3 main food groups.

Beer, black coffee and cigarettes

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

That is a problem that Japan has, right BB?
    Getting old is not the problem, as most older Japanese people are really active.. compared to their western counterparts. And they live as well as enjoy healthier lives.

The problem here is that young people are no longer having children and the birthrate is going down.. Soon the number of people over 80 will be greater than the number of people under 15.. it is causing a burden on the social security system here.

That said, some people think it is a great thing because with 100 million people in the land area the size of California, it's a tad crowded.. so the less people, the less crowded.

Eating healthy is one thing. What gets up my skin is how they claim to offer healthy food at these fast food chains.. Apart from Subway, most of them are definitely not healthy, and even if you tried to pick out the healthy choices, it probably is not healthy.

I haven't been to a fastfood joint in about 2 months now.. and I probably will never go back to one. I encourage you all to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by alliswoe
    I last ate in a fast food restaurant about 2 years ago.
    Now I understand your logon name. Eating too many sticks and twigs.

You health nuts (disclaimer: nut not intended to be a slur. Just can't come up with a better word) may live longer than me. I am sure of one thing. It will seem longer. A lot longer. Double-size me!
    Linux Mint Debian Edition