Thread: trouble installing from disk

trouble installing from disk

Hi, I'm trying to install windows 98se onto a windows 95 which i "think" i've formatted. I have managed to get the use of dos an here is where the trouble begins..........How the hell do I install from CD.Rom???

I've Used
    A:\>d: with a bootable diskett
    to Which I get
    D:\>CDwin98
    D:\win98format
    D:\md c:\copy
    then I've tried
    D:\Copy*.*C:\win98

Amature you bet ya.......

I'm sure the hard drive is now empty so the question is.........How do I install Windows 98????????

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Not Sure the effects of what you did there. If you want to install Windows 98 thought you need a Windows 98 boot disk, you can download a copy here http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    You could also boot from the CD,, but you have to enable it from the BIOS. Instructions vary from BIOS version/maker to another, but basically you have to change the boot priority.
    If you use the boot disk, be sure to select the fist option which is boot with CD-ROm support, at the end it will tell you what is the CD letter. Go to that drive, and then navigate to i386 folder and type Setup.exe
    There are some guides here:
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/indexwin98.htm

i'm a bit of a novice! i went to the boot disc site but am a bit unsure which one to down load and use

First of all is this an upgrade or full install? The boot disk i'd recommend would be an old DOS 6 disk which would probably not have any compatability issues, but then you could always try the Win98 OEM disk from the site mentioned above and hope it will all work out. On the other hand have you tried booting to the CD, if not then go into the BIOS and have a look around for the "disk startup order" and set the CD as first then the first HDD as second. The lable could say anything at all depending on which BIOS make you have.
    Live long and prosper!

From bootdisk i would select Win98SE custom which does not build a RamDrive.
    Boot the floppy and you wind up with
    A:
    type D: enter
    D:
    type setup enter
    this should start the Win98 setup.
    using the copy command does not invoke the setup process, it will only copy the contents of D: to C:

Hope this helps...

patio.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    The one with the RAM drive gives you a couple of more tools but it moves the letter to one more. Also, the letter of the disk depends on the partitions that you have.
    Either W98SE OEM custom or Standar (with RAM Disk) will do a fine job. I haven't used the custom one.
    Basically to put it easy, you want to access the CD-ROM in order to install Windows the easiest as possible. Best choice would be to boot from CD. Most computers after 1998 allow you to do this. Most now come with this enabled by default. If you insert the CD and you have no floppy disk on the drive, the computer should boot directly to the CD rom. If it did not, enter to the setup of the CMOS (refered as BIOS too) and look for the boot priority. You will want to use this priority
    1.- CD-ROM
    2.-Floppy Drive
    3.-Hard Disk (also refered as HDD, or disk drives)

After you have succesfully installed Windows you might want to put the hard drive to the first priority to speed up boot process and reduce the posibility to accidentally boot to a CD or floppy.
    If you don't have the choice to boot from CD, you will have to use a boot disk to get to the setup file inside the w98 folder of your Windows instalation CD

Does everybody disable legacy now? I love the thing, at least u have total control as long as you have some idea of the switches. As an aside, is this info still being taught within MCSE? All you need is a spare IDE and if you are full a raid gives you 8 more. Floppy = £6 ($9) why do without, Raid = £30 ($45) rest my case