Thread: EXchange: OWA deployment best practices

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Question EXchange: OWA deployment best practices

OK, I am going to push my luck here Has anyone deployed an OWA access for Exchange? More specifically 2003.
    MS doesn't seem to have much info, and what it has recomends Exchange 2K3+Windows2K3+ISA200 (now 2K3 will be released) that is a bit expensive solution, 3 products for one deployment. Anyhow
    I was given a week to deploy OWA access to our Exchange. Actually, we have to deploy remote access to the Exchange email, so any recomendation is welcome.
    I have heard that the best solution is to have an Exchange box located outside the corporate firewall (but protected by another firewall) to do the OWA request. Well, either I heard completely wrong, or there isn't much information about it.
    Do you guys have some solution of help?
    Thanks

Well, didn't have much answer this tread
    I did find some information. I will post specific links later (I have them at the office)
    Best solution seems to be as I thought installing another server with Exchange as a front end. That front end server won't have the emails, but rather just serve the emails thru the OWA interface, pulling them out from the back end OWA server. This solution provides the best security, since serving OWA from the Exchange with the email would be equal to suicide
    Problem? Expensive. It requires ISA server to connect both servers. It is not a requisite, but it is optimal. ISA has to be installed in a Windows 2000 SP2 or superior machine.
    And then it is the license for Exchange 2003, which also needs to be installed in Windows 2003.
    So the components for the project would be:
    2 Computers running Windows 2003 (Standard is fine)
    1 Exchange Server license (I don't know yet if Standard can be used. I am hoping so, because there is a huge difference)
    1 ISA server 2004 license
    The front end Exchange (OWA) has to be deployed in the DMZ zone.
    This setup is recommended because if your OWA server gets compromised, there is not much there that would be beneficial. Worst case scenario, OWA server is down, but email in the company still flows uninterrupted.

Ok, I found the link to the articles:
    Implementing Outlook Web Access with Exchange Server 2003
    For the deployment of OWA as a front end.
    ISA Server 2000 Exchange 2000/2003 Secure Remote Email Access Deployment Kit Table of Contents
    WARNING: Lots of material to read
    This is for ISA 2000, but adapting it to 2004 should be no biggie
    I had had my period of deployment extended considerably since we figured an alternative. We deployed VPN access. So, now I can work a bit more relaxed
    As I go thru the project I will post updated information.