Thread: Sp2 Issue

Exclamation Sp2 Issue

I have installed XPSP2 Final (RTM) and this seems to only be a issue with the last release.
    Note that I have had all Beta versions without this issue.

When you try to delete an item from your desktop, it will freeze for a moment and then a box will come up with a note saying you cannot do it and close the program.
    Right after that, another box comes up and says there is a problem with explorer.exe do you want to debug or close.
    When you choose debug, it will clear your screen and not show some of the programs after it comes back on the task bar and it seems to be unstable.
    The first box made a refrence to DEP (Data Execution Protection). Something I did not notice on other SP2 Betas,but does exist here. In reading about it, it seems to be a good thing, IF it works correctly.
    Got to it by going Start/Control Panel/System/advanced/Settings (In proformance box)/DEP tab
    If I reboot my CPU it runs normal until I try the steps above again.
    I Excluded Explorer from the list and all seems to run fine again.
    Anyone experience this issue??

JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG....

Waxace

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I have DEP (software mode turned on) and I don't have this issue. Sounds like you found the fix. Just exclude explorer from the DEP service. I think that is why they allowed that option, incase there were incompatibilities. That still doesn't explain why it works for me and not for you.

Did you freshly install SP2 RTM or did you uninstall a previous build of SP2 and then install RTM?

Exclamation Sp2 Rc2

I did a clean install of XP SP2
    First uninstalled all beta traces, then clean install

I will keep picking at this issue until I get a solution, (It's there somewhere),
    and post the answer someday...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I think your problem could be from installed Sp2 RTM after installing the beta versions. Even if you uninstalled the previous versions it could be the culprit. I installed RTM on a clean system, never had any beta versions installed.

You might try reformatting and using This Guide to make a bootable slip streamed copy of XP with SP2.