Hi guys,

I downloaded and installed XP SP2 retail onto my Windows XP Home yesterday, and after a faultless install, Windows refused to boot and kept getting stuck on the loading screen.

After an hour of messing about and backing up my files onto my other HD, i reinstalled Windows and then installed XP SP2 straight away before anything else, and the SAME PROBLEMS OCCURS!

I observed that during my NORMAL Windows loading process, the screen flickers half way through, this indicates to me, it's loading something to do with the graphics card.

By coincidence, after SP2 is installed, the loading screen freezes at exactly the same time the screen is suppose to flicker.

I'm currently updating the mother board bios to see if that's causing the problem, but i doubt it, also, i installed Windows XP Home 5x yesterday, testing everything.

My last test was to simply ignore SP2, so i just installed Windows which already has SP1 included, and then downloaded all the latest updates from Windows updates.

Guess what?

Same problem as SP2!

Freezes on loading screen, so wtf? Obviously an update that is available on Windows updates, which is included in SP2 is ****ing my computer up, and since there are SO many updates, i don't know which one it is, and i can't afford to try to update anymore!

So i have an operating system i cannot update, thank you microsoft!

If it is my graphics, my graphics card is a MSI MS-Starforce GeForce 4 MX 4000.

My motherboard is a ASUS A7V600-X, with an Athlon 'Barton' 3000 XP.

Has anyone else had problems like this with SP2?

Thanks for any input that you can give!