Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you guys think of this upgrade

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

what do you guys think of this upgrade

thinking of upgrading my rig. we have a PC loan program at work interest free so I was thinking of using it.

2 maxtor 160gb SATA Drive (maybe for raid or just extra storage)

2 mushkin 512 pc 3200

Asus A7n8X-E with the new gigbyte lan and 400 fsb

AMD Athlon XP-M 3000

ATI 9800pro with DVI/TV out

then some case, cpu heatsink. All for under $800 @ newegg.

gonna keep my dvd burner, keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Thats a sweet deal if you can float the cash.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

payroll deductions 30bucks a month interest free. I can get a loan for up to 3500 dollars, but that system seems perfect. the only thing I think I would add would be a 19 lcd. saw one here locally for $470 with a contrast of 500:1.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    What you posted sounds great. I threw together a $1000 system using Intel parts for comparison:

CPU with heatsink and fan:
    Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 530 3.0 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...116-184&depa=1

Motherboard (PCI Express Model):
    ABIT "AA8-DuraMAX" i925X Chipset Motherboard for Intel LGA775 CPU -RETAIL
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...127-180&depa=1

HDD:
    Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model HDS722525VLSA80 Part# 13G0255, OEM Drive Only
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...145-048&DEPA=1

RAM (512Mb) get another stick later or add it now for $188 more:
    CORSAIR XMS2 Series 240-Pin 512MB DDR2 PC2-5400 with Heat Spreader - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-538&depa=1

Video (PCI-EXPRESS):
    ASUS ATI RADEON X600 XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "AX600XT/TD/128" -RETAIL
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...121-513&depa=1
    (128 bit is not so good)

OR
    Video (PCI-Express):
    Leadtek GeForce PCX 5900 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express Model "PX350 TDH" -RETAIL
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...122-197&depa=1

Case with PSU:
    ENERMAX BLACK ATX 10-BAY MID-TOWER CASE with 400W Power Supply, Model "CS-EN5171LBFS-B"
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...124-060&DEPA=1

$1045+ shipping. (with 2 sticks of ram $1233.)
    Last edited by Big Booger; August 16th, 2004 at 14:47 PM.

so going with amd you save 150-200 bucks and have a better chance of OC'ing with the mobile cpu.

edit: like that case though for the price too cant beat it. was gonna get a case locally so that I can see it for myself.
    Last edited by phishhead; August 16th, 2004 at 15:08 PM.

But you are facing DDR versus DDR2, AGP vs. PCI-Express, HyperThreading, Dual Channel, 8 USB 2.0, 4 Firewire, Onboard SATA/RAID: 4x Serial ATA, RAID 0/1

The system I posted would be the one I'd buy simply for the PCI Express. ATI shipped their millionth PCI Express Card, so it is the future.

The Intel chip is the LGA775, which recently changed meaning you should have at least a year or two before they go with another.

You are paying more, but it's the latest technology. Now I could have found a system at your price range using the older 478pin, AGP 8X, and brought it down as near to the system you posted.

If I were going AMD, I'd be looking at the 64bit models.

Something like this:

CPU:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-426&depa=1

Motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...152-042&depa=1

Like I said what you posted is fine. But if you are going to fork over the hard earned, why not get the latest tech?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    But you are facing DDR versus DDR2, AGP vs. PCI-Express, HyperThreading, Dual Channel, 8 USB 2.0, 4 Firewire, Onboard SATA/RAID: 4x Serial ATA, RAID 0/1

The system I posted would be the one I'd buy simply for the PCI Express. ATI shipped their millionth PCI Express Card, so it is the future.

The Intel chip is the LGA775, which recently changed meaning you should have at least a year or two before they go with another.

You are paying more, but it's the latest technology. Now I could have found a system at your price range using the older 478pin, AGP 8X, and brought it down as near to the system you posted.

If I were going AMD, I'd be looking at the 64bit models.

Something like this:

CPU:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-426&depa=1

Motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...152-042&depa=1

Like I said what you posted is fine. But if you are going to fork over the hard earned, why not get the latest tech?
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2088&p=20

The newest Intel chipsets are no faster than current 875 chipsets:

We also clearly saw in our performance tests that a current Intel 875 motherboard, running fast DDR memory and a Northwood processor, was just as fast as a 925X running a Prescott at the same speed. This is not really a failing on the part of the new chipsets, though, as it indicates real progress in Prescott development. When Prescott was first introduced, it was a much poorer performer than Northwood. The fact that it is now competitive with Northwood using all these new technologies indicates a lot of progress has been made.
    The AMD 64 bit systems are nice but they're pretty expensive at the moment. I think Phish's choices are okay with confirmation from FastGame since he's the AMD expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    But you are facing DDR versus DDR2, AGP vs. PCI-Express

The thing about DDR2 is it a brand new tech. and like most things in the computer world the newest doesn't equal the best. Infact DDR2 is so new most articles I have read about this say that regular DDR is faster or performs better and longer than DDR2.

Concerning DDR vs. DDR2:
    That’s not the only difference between DDR2 and DDR. Now we should recall such trivial things like signal termination. You should know about that if you’re using a SCSI controller and hard disk drives. In brief, the high-frequency signal reflects from the end of the signal line, masking the useful signal with the reflection noise. In order to prevent this, a bunch of resistances is hung on the end of the line, to muffle the signal completely.

These termination resistors are on the mainboard for DDR memory: you may notice numerous tiny resistors and capacitors in the neighborhood of DIMM slots. Of course, the necessity to wire all this stuff onboard doesn’t make the mainboard cheaper, or easier to manufacture. With DDR2, such devices are placed directly in the memory, thus making it unnecessary to place all those electronics onboard. Of course, this puts stricter demands on the range of the nominal characteristics of a module since modules from different manufacturers must work together right, but all involved are going to win from this solution in the long run.

There’s yet another aspect where DDR2 is preferable over DDR – heat generation. DDR modules of ordinary capacities (256MB – 512MB) are not very hot at work. But the fact is that the module becomes hotter when its capacity grows. For example, installing 4GB of RAM into the slots, we can notice that the memory may dissipate 35-40W under peak loads and that’s not little. Yes, such memory amounts are rare today, but tomorrow? Thus, it is necessary to solve this problem beforehand, writing premises for reducing heat dissipation into the new memory standard. Moreover, the operational frequency (heat is proportional to the clock rate, all other factors being equal) of the memory will significantly grow up.

Well, DDR2 has something it can be boastful of. The DDR2 core will work at 1.8v – compare to 2.5-2.6v of the current DDR (higher voltage means more heat, too). Thus, DDR2 should produce less heat. They estimate a reduction by 30% and practice will prove that. We should notice the fact that a lot of today’s DDR works at 1.8v, which it converts from the input 2.5v voltage. However, such conversions heat the module up, too, so without them the heat dissipation will decrease.

Another innovation employed in DDR2 is called Additive Latency. To understand its point we should know that in real circumstances it is not sometimes possible to transfer data even at the moments when this is formally allowable, because the memory control bus has a limited number of states. So sometimes it’s not possible to send the command to initialize the next memory bank simultaneously with the command for reading the earlier-initialized bank. Just because these two commands require that signals of two opposite levels are sent at once by the same bus. As a result, there’s a bubble in the data stream from the module with no useful data, which the memory couldn’t provide due to this organizational conflict.
    There are drawbacks.. as listed in this article:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mem...ay/ddr2_7.html

But you cannot tell me that DDR2 is not the future of memory. It is.

And about the chipset comparison, it's about the longevity of the upgradability of the product. Like those who were left shafted with the 423pin versus the 478... 478 is nearly 2 years old, LGA 775 is the future.

I didn't see 1 single PCI Express motherboard with an 875 chipset.

Features of the 925X chipset:

The two big moves we are seeing today are the addition of a PCI-Express Graphics interface as well as DDR2 support. The PCI-Express graphics bus will bring across 3X the amount of bandwidth than the AGP 8X bus, and PCI-Express will also make the bus full duplex, something not possible with AGP technology. DDR2 is an extension of current DDR technology which will allow the MHz to scale even higher. The first sticks of DDR2 we will see on the market will be rated at speeds of 533MHz with timings of 4-4-4-12.

New Southbridge Features

The new ICH6 southbridge has support for additional PCI-Express X1 slots as well as 8 USB 2.0 ports, 4 SATA RAID ports, and new "High Definition" audio.
    Last edited by Big Booger; August 17th, 2004 at 04:44 AM.

personally if the amd 64 abit or asus boards were cheaper then I would consider it. but with my budget I think its the top of the line that I can afford.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    So..what is your current rig? Do you really need to upgrade now? or you can wait until November where all prices come down the hill? I always buy in Novmber

now its a a7n8x rev 1.04. amd 1700xp oced to 2gig
    512 2700 corsair ram
    80 gig maxtor
    nvidia 4200ti
    I want to upgrade so I can give me kids mine. since they are always on it playing their games. but waiting til nov might not be a bad idea and the 64's might drop down.

are you going to oc the xp-m to 3000? cause from what I know there isn't a xp-m 3000 out there the highest they go is 2600... unless I've been uneducated for the past year or so? to be honest phish... if I were you I'd wait no more then 3 months on this purchase... my reasoning is the 9800 pro is likely to drop in price at that time, pic-e will be more mainstream giving you the option of going with the x600 ati card if you'd like. just a couple more options. since cost seems to be a factor in this purchase I'd stick with the AMD setup but hold off no more then 3 months to get the best bang for your buck. pci-e will allow your computer to be upgradable further into the future... just my .02

think I might just do that and check this out cardriver http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-482&depa=0

mother of god!!! that is so beautiful! that must of just come out cause there isn't a single review on it.

good god I want it! swveeet... grab that phish! tell me how it ocs