Thread: Bent Pins

Bent Pins

Recently there have been several comments about bent pins on cpu. The September issue of PC World contained a reader's suggestion for straightening bent pins. Use a mechanical pencil without lead. The smallest size available should be used. The pin slides into the center shaft of the pencil providing greater control when straightening the pin.

Remember that repeated movement of individual pins is unwise. They will eventually break.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Use a mechanical pencil without lead. The smallest size available should be used. The pin slides into the center shaft of the pencil providing greater control when straightening the pin.
    What did it say afterwards?
    "If the pin breaks, weld it under a microscope. The pin should fix in position while the microscope gives you a clear view of the process."
    The main point: listen to efc, it's absolutely unwise.

I had accidentally bent a row of pins against the table on my processor chip last year. I panicked as this was a new computer. I bent it back with a ruler.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I think the main word in what efc wrote was "repeated" bending or movement. If the metal is repeatedly moved or bent it gets hot. When it heats up, the metal gets weak and it tends to break.

I'd use extreme caution when performing this fix. But indeed I never would have thought to use a mechanical pencil. Excellent tip!

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    wow I would have never of thought of that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    I think the main word in what efc wrote was "repeated" bending or movement.
    Not necessarily. These pins are so delicate, all you can count on is your luck.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I've repaired bent pins in the past. One was on a notebook. I used a pair of tweezers and it was not that hard. You have to be slow and steady.

in the future I'll use efc's suggestion as it makes sense. The mechanical pencil can slide over the bent pin, and support the shaft.

You are correct though, it is a risky process. But what do you do when your pins are bent? Unbend them of course.. or send it to someone to have it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    or send it to someone to have it done.
    That's what I would do, so I'm not reponsible for any possible damages

Why did you, mods, sticky and then unsticky this thread?

ill tell u what some guys at my school did,
    they had 2 computers, both at different locations, so they took the cpu out of 1 and took it all the way to the other computer, which was a fair walk away.
    what they were doin is, they were combing their hair with it and throwing it a bit.
    some pins got bent, so they just bent them back and it still worked in a computer.

i think it was somethin like that....

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Detekt
    ill tell u what some guys at my school did,
    they had 2 computers, both at different locations, so they took the cpu out of 1 and took it all the way to the other computer, which was a fair walk away.
    what they were doin is, they were combing their hair with it and throwing it a bit.
    some pins got bent, so they just bent them back and it still worked in a computer.

i think it was somethin like that....
    Thats pretty funny actually... Imagine doing that with AMD-FX .... will personal grooming void the warranty on CPU??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---