Thread: incompatible software with xp

Question incompatible software with xp

Hello,

would anyone know of a solution for many programs I have that worked with windows 98 and won't work with xp. I tried the compatiblity option on xp and they still don't work.

THanks

also, I have this flat screen and many times when I print info from the screen the quality of the fonts and the clarity is almost nil. i.e. I can't read anything when I print stuff

thanks once again

Quote Originally Posted by philsmith5
    would anyone know of a solution for many programs I have that worked with windows 98 and won't work with xp. I tried the compatiblity option on xp and they still don't work.
    I guess the only thing you could do is update your software. Get the latest versions coz new ones should work fine on XP (unless the program author says otherwise).

As for the printing, I don't know. Do you use the printer rarely? Inkjet printers' quality might deteriorate due to lack of use.

I have found very few programs that won't work with xp. I would be curious which ones you are having trouble with.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    I have found very few programs that won't work with xp. I would be curious which ones you are having trouble with.
    I guess they must be very old ones, efc.
    I also heard some old apps need something to do with DOS and that's why they wouldn't work on XP.

I know that there are some programs that don't work on xp. I use a number of very old utilities because they don't try to do everything - only the task I need.

My point is that if he is having a lot of problems with old programs, there may be something else going on. If he names programs that some of us use, without problems, then we may be chasing the wrong issue.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    If he names programs that some of us use, without problems, then we may be chasing the wrong issue.
    Oh! Now I get your point; good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by hotmale
    I guess they must be very old ones, efc.
    I also heard some old apps need something to do with DOS and that's why they wouldn't work on XP.
    One program is Red Alert.

And yes true we may be chasing the wrong idea. Maybe its just some of his OS settings?
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Most games should hopefully work if you've installed any nessessary updates and service packs.
    Live long and prosper!