Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VERY SUDDEN HDD failure

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

VERY SUDDEN HDD failure

I suddenly had a failure in the primery slave drive. The machine was running fine and sudednly it restarted TWICE!!, so I let it alone for a while.....and I forgot. Today I went to turn it on, and I see that the BIOS saied that there was a failure with the disk. I have dual boot, and in the primary master I have Windows XP home, in the slave 2003. If I boot into XP home I cannot see the drive at all. What could have happened? IS there any way to check it out? Recovered it?

Titanium Member
    Loose cables?

Go to the manufacturers web page and download their diagnostic software. You can also check the drive warranty status while you are there.

Drive warranties are from the manufactured date not when you bought it.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I checked already for lose cables. I have somewhere the software, I just couldn't find it. I will give it a try downloading them instead. BTW is a Maxtor drive.
    For the warranty I really don't care much. It is a 40 GB drive, but it has more value the data inside, not for the data, but for the programs. It took me about 3 weeks to have it all configured W2K3, Apache, PHP, MySQL. And some other programs.
    What worries me, is that it was so sudden. I was working on this computer, and I even had the monitor on for the other one, and then.....bang, it restarted
    I am wondering if somethig so sudden can happen. Since it detects the problem at BIOS level, I don't think it could be a virus or something like that.....or could it be?

That's wierd, Maxtor is supposed to be quite reliable over Seagate. What's the age of the drive?
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Yes it can happen w/o notice, trust me.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    My 3 year old Maxtor also died pretty suddenly. I just heard this constant clicking, when I rebooted Smart errors were reported and the disk died.

In all these years (12) ive never bought a hard drive that suddenly gave up. I agree that Maxtor is really reliable, more so than Western Digital or Seagate. I did get hold of a hdd for free long time ago that had bad sectors (it was a 6GB Quantum bigfoot). Later i thrashed it. Remarkably i still have a hdd of only 100MB! Can you imagine? Of course i never use it anymore
    Get Quintessential player, the alternative to winamp! ( www.quinnware.com )

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    IMHO, each drive is probably just as reliable as the next. Each maker will manufacture faulty drives at probably the same rate, 15 per 1000 or something like that..

I've always had the best luck with Japanese made drives, Fujitsu and Toshiba, as well as Hitachi have always did well for me. I own Maxtor, Western Digital, Fujitsu, Hitachi, IBM, and Toshiba models of various sizes and speeds. None of them except IBM having giving me any problems.

Titanium Member

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    None of them except IBM having giving me any problems.
    I always thought IBM had a reputation for high quality drives.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    I always thought IBM had a reputation for high quality drives.
    There was a time when IBM had this line of hard drives, "Deskstar" model if I remember right (a couple of years back), it was notorious for failing after a few months.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    We called them the "Deathstar".

The only brand that has failed for me so far is Western Digital.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    It was a deskstar.. total bollocks.. but I believe they have since improved. In fact I have one of their 80GB 8mb cache drives in my other PC.