Thread: Localizing running of Registry startup programs and Services questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Localizing running of Registry startup programs and Services questions

I'm runing XP Home. I have a number of memory-resident programs that currently run for all user accounts on my system, and I'd like to restrict them to only one account and leave the other account(s) relatively "clean." Currently, they start from the Registry HKLM "Run" key. Is there somewhere else I can move them, within the Registry, so that they will still be launched by the Registry, but only for a particular user? (I have tried to run some of them from the local Startup folder, but they don't all run correctly from there, so I'd still like to launch them from the Registry.)

A related question: there are also some Services that I'd like to run only in one account or the other. Is there a way to set up a Service only for a particular user? It appears that the "Log On" tab of the Properties dialog box for the Services is intended for that purpose, but I can't figure out how to set it up.

Appreciate your help --
    - David

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    David,
    Have you tried setting up Limited Accounts and still getting the same results in terms of programs that run for all users? I mean if you create all administrative accounts for users, they will all have the same access to everything.

With the limited accounts, it should be more restrictive:

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxphusrm.htm

What programs are specifically running that you'd like to limit?

As for your second question, I believe what you can do as the administrator is control the services yourself, in computer management.

However because this is XP Home and not XP Pro, I cannot advise you well on that. I do know that XP Pro is much more robust in terms of user control than Home.

If it is imporant to you, you may want to make the upgrade to XP Pro, and have the full functionality of controlling nearly every aspect of the user accounts on your computer.

In XP pro, you can manually configure each service to log on as a local group or on a per account basis, and you can password protect each one as the administrator. That way when a guest or I believe even a power user logs on, the administrator controls what runs and doesn't.

Take a look at the image below for an idea of what I am talking about. You can check to see if XP Home has this feature but I am going to guess that it doesn't.. maybe you can correct me if I am wrong.

Have a look