Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: download web pages

Bronze Member

download web pages

what program can be used to download web pages so that i can read them off line?

any suggestions?

thanks,

cm

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Web Capture:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/225101.html

Demo available. $42.00 for the software.

Cool

HTTrack is a free (GPL, libre/free software) and easy-to-use offline browser utility.

It allows you to download a World Wide Web site from the Internet to a local directory, building recursively all directories, getting HTML, images, and other files from the server to your computer. HTTrack arranges the original site's relative link-structure. Simply open a page of the "mirrored" website in your browser, and you can browse the site from link to link, as if you were viewing it online. HTTrack can also update an existing mirrored site, and resume interrupted downloads. HTTrack is fully configurable, and has an integrated help system.

http://www.httrack.com/

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    If the web page you want to view offline doesn't contain content that changes you can just use the File > Save As option in IE. Save it as a "Web Page, complete (*.htm ,*.html)"

You can then view it offline. Works for me.

Note: IE might try to connect when you view it offline.Just click cancel.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

HTTrack copies absolutely everything on the domain/Subdomain - that includes all subdirectories and maintains the directory structure etc. So if you click any link it'll work.

Using Reverend's method, you can only copy the page you are viewing and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by coathanger007
    Using Reverend's method, you can only copy the page you are viewing and nothing more.
    Which is basically what i said in my post.
    If the web page you want to view offline doesn't contain content that changes

No Rev. Even if the content doesn't change no links will be available offline using your method. That's because your method copies the contents of the folder ONLY of the webpage you're viewing. Links referring to any other subfolder will be invalid even if the contents in those folders (or any other folder for that matter) are static.

Where has cityman mentioned viewing the links as well???

what program can be used to download web pages so that i can read them off line?
    And if you read my post correctly you would see that i referred to a single page,not the links as well.

I'm fully aware that linked pages will not show up when viewed offline.So don't insult my intelligence.
    Last edited by Reverend; August 27th, 2004 at 22:00 PM.

Calm down Head Honcho. We had different interpretations of "read them offline". I assumed that cityman would've already tried to save complete webpages using your method (it's reasonably obvious). So I interpreted "read them offline" as including offline links. Seems that Big Booger interpreted it this way as well. I'm struggling to see how I insulted your intelligence.
    Last edited by coathanger007; August 27th, 2004 at 22:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coathanger007
    Calm down Head Honcho. We had different interpretations of "read them offline". I assumed that cityman would've already tried to save complete webpages using your method (it's reasonably obvious).
    Firstly don't tell me to calm down.

Secondly,we are here to help all our members so don't assume they are as tech savvy as you or I.

Like i said,if you only want to view a single page the Save As method is perfectly adequate. If you want to view links as well then the alternatives posted will do the trick.

No worries. Hope that's solved your problem fully cityman Nice comprehensive response

Bronze Member
    hey guys, thanks for the info.. i had to respond quickly before there's any more fights.

i checked out -web capture.. i tried it out and it was not user friendly. so thanks big booger for that one.

i tried the "IE" method but the website is password protected which i have the password and so, i could not get in. I did not mention it cause i did not realize its significance. i was thinking... see the webpage and "swallow the first page and its 1 or 2 levels deep.

now i will try HTTrack and let you know.

thanks for the help.

so now i

Bronze Member
    i just tried HTTrack and it is definitely easier than Web Capture. however, the password protection does interfere with capturing.

i enter my password and enter the website. i then proceed to copy the url into HTTrack. however, once that is done i enter the url into HTTrack and then once again it is stopped because of the password restriction. I will do some more investigations and see what workaround or illogic i may have to use.

will definitely keep you all posted.

thanks

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://www.surfoffline.com/

Another solution to try with a wizard interface and capable of downloading over 100 files at one time.

Try one till you find the one that suits your needs.

below is a link to quite a few:

http://www.soft32.com/index-2-1-19-1-4.html

Bronze Member

Talking

do you want to kill me with these plethora of choices? gee thanks. <laugh>

kidding aside,

thanks