Thread: PQI PC3200 Turbo Ultra Low Latency Review

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

PQI PC3200 Turbo Ultra Low Latency Review

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/pqi3200/

With DDR400 firmly entrenched as the going PC memory standard, consumers that were at one time happy with standard DDR memory latencies are now getting more interested in lowering their memory timings on their stock computers for extra performance. What is often not know or considered is the double edge sword that lower memory timings bring to the performance fight through increased overclocking potential.

When you have a memory kit with the lowest latency ability at stock speeds, when you completely relax the timings to 3-8-4-4 and crank the DDR voltage to 2.8volts, you unlock the REAL hidden overclocking potential in faster memory. All that is needed is a locked AGP/PCI speed and enjoy the surprising increase in FSB you can obtain.

Another deciding factor is always price. Sure, the memory has fast stock timings, but is a small latency decrease really worth US$50-US$100 more? If you are thinking that it is, you are unfortunately mistaken.

To back that up I will be reviewing the new Turbo Ultra Low Latency Series memory from PQI (Formerly PMI). With fast timings and a very reasonable price around the US$170 range, you just cannot beat the value of this memory when compared to similar kits from other major brands that are priced US$100+ higher.

What do you think? Pretty interesting how a much cheaper ram can stick with higher end products like OCZ, Corsair, etc...

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    All the guys @Overclockers.com are having great results with this ram on P4 & Nforce2 boards. It's using Samsung Tccd 4ns chips, the Samsung chips don't usually fair as well on the A64 but so far a few guy's have had good results with these. This only applies to the PC3200 2 2 2 5 modules as far as I know.

All the peeps have been snapping them up, no more 512mb left @newegg

It's a good thing I'm up on the news my 1gig will be hear on Monday
    Last edited by FastGame; August 27th, 2004 at 17:54 PM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I couldn't believe what a bargain. $170.. wow! And the performance especially when overclocked was outstanding.

FG, you'll have to give us a TZ perspective on this PQI ram!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    FG, you'll have to give us a TZ perspective on this PQI ram!
    Okie Dokie, It'll be on the A64 & Nforce2, from results I've seen so far this ram is good to go on the P4