August 31st, 2004, 03:03 AM
SP 2 recently installed
Just recently I have a problem with downloading files. I try to DL a quake map, .pk3 file not zipped, and windows is automatically putting it in rar format. I tried taking winrar off the system and it puts it in a .zip format. If I DL one that is in a rar or zip it extracts fine. If I dl one that is not compressed it extracts the .pk3, I mean that it isn't in rar format on the server but I dl it and it shows up as a compressed file, I extract it and the .pk3 files are extracted.
I did use and external program, download accelerator, to download the files with no problems at all. This leads me to think that this might be a problem with IE something similar.
I hope this makes some kind of sence. If not I can post pics of the issue.
here is one of the links:
August 31st, 2004, 14:22 PM
Basically pk3 files if you rename them to zip you'll find that they are just simply a zip file. So there's no reason to zip them up at all. So if you have the file as pk3 just try renaming them to something you can open as a compressed file and see then if that file contains another compressed file inside or if it's all the files needed for your map, bot or other.
August 31st, 2004, 17:19 PM
Yes sir, I understand all of that. I can change the extention and all is fine. The thing that is bugging me is that IE is automatically changing the extention to .zip, it didn't do this before. I have got it narrowed down to a SP2 issue. I have tested this theory on several XP non SP2 systems and it didn't happen. I tested the same link on other systems with SP2 and it did. I did discover this after the post I made yesterday.
It is just one of those little things that don't matter that much but bug the heck out of me.
Thanx for the response.
August 31st, 2004, 21:59 PM
Have you tried downloading them with an alternative browser like mozilla, firefox, opera? It may solve this quirk.. but doesn't fix the issue with IE.
September 1st, 2004, 00:45 AM
Yes, Firefox and Opera work just fine wich adds to the SP2 IE theory....
September 1st, 2004, 07:03 AM
Well I know one way to do this.. but it's easier just to click the link, download it and change the file name later..
Right click the link and click save target as, then when the save dialog pops up, click all files, and change the file name from ~.zip to ~.pk3
That should solve it.. a work around that works, but is rather the same thing.
I think IE does this to prevent viruses or something.. I don't know... odd.
September 1st, 2004, 12:25 PM
Sorry if it seemed like I was mockin ;-P
You should hopefully be able to install a PK3 editor and then the file type will be recocnised... http://www.alliedassault.com/pafiled...n=file&id=1273
September 1st, 2004, 14:23 PM
Try setting your Internet Options back to default.