Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: system date changes after restart

Latest News:

I went into BIOS upon start up and changed the date to 13th October 2004 to see what would happen (there isn't a 13th month so wanted to know what it did). When XP loaded the date hadn't changed and was showing 13th October 2004.

Re-started again and changed the date in BIOS back to today's date, 11th October 2004. I was fully expecting it change to 10th November 2004 but it showed the correct date on the desktop. Don't know if this has fixed it or not. I'm getting fed up of re-starting my PC though!

does anybody solve the date problem ? i have it too.

I'm getting this problem now!!! Getting Windows boot up with 12th of March and not 3rd of December!!

It's got to be a Windows problem..... I've tried all sorts to fix it..... messing with the Regional settings, choosing a date that wouldn't be affected by the problem etc etc.....

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    This is weird...

All I can suggest is replacing the battery and re flash the bios. Maybe it's Windows having a conflict ? or maybe some strange Trojan/worm trying to mess up your AV ?? bad bios chip ?

Try Atmoic Clock it's like taking aspirin for a headache...it works

It can't be the battery for the CMOS/BIOS settings as when the PC starts up the date and time are correct. It is only when you finally get into Windows it is changed.

Also the other settings in the BIOS would have put back to their defaults.

I have found a fix!!! It's all down to how you word it when searching for an answer on the internet!

If you do the following to the letter the problem will be fixed!! So happy now!

1. Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
    2. Navigate to the HKEY_USERS registry key.
    3. From the File menu, select Load Hive.
    4. Navigate to the \%systemdrive%\documents and settings\default user folder, select ntuser.dat, then click Open.
    5. Enter a name for the registry entry (e.g., Default User), then click OK.
    6. Navigate to the HKEY_USERS\Default User\Control Panel\International registry subkey.
    7. Double-click the sShortDate registry entry.
    8. Set the value to the date format required (e.g., dd/MM/yyyy), then click OK.
    9. You can also change the sLongDate registry entry for the longer date format (e.g., dd MMMM yyyy), then click OK.
    10. Select the HKEY_USERS\Default User registry subkey (or whatever you named it) again, then from the File menu select Unload Hive.
    11. Click Yes to the confirmation.
    12. Close the registry editor.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Glad you got it fixed and thanks for bringing the answer back so we all know

I know how frustrating it can be for someone to have such a stupid problem with their system.

grumble grumble WINDOWS! grumble grumble