Thread: HD needs replaced, help!

HD needs replaced, help!

Hello,
    I found this forum doing a search. I am quite clueless when it comes to this aspect of the computer! Any help would be appreciated.
    I have been getting a SMART failure msg saying to replace my HD immediately, failure is imminent. Have been getting it a while though, so far hanging in but I know my time is coming.
    I want to replace it myself, and copy my HD if possible. The least expensive way. If I buy a new HD, can I install it and leave the old one in and transfer the files that way? If so how?
    Another ? is about my OS. Tranferring files that way will or won't transfer my OS? I am thinking not. I only have the recovery disk to my OS since it came downloaded when purchased. Will this be enough?
    Thanks for any help and your time!
    Micki

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    If you have a burner I would burn your personal data and files to cd. then take out the old hard drive and replace it with the new one. make sure that you have the jumpers(the plastic pin) in the back set to master. Most hard drives now come with a partition and format utility disk. Once that is set I would use your recovery cd and reinstall windows and your other programs then move your personal data to the new hard drive. Reason I went this route since its giving you the SMART errors you might have some corrupt system files and if you image the hard drive that corruption will be copied to the new hard drive.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I agree with phish best to start fresh and save the headache. If you don't have a CD burner take the old HD out and put the new one in and install off the recovery CD. When your done set the old HD jumper to slave and put it back in (hooked up to the new one) and then move your data over to the new HD.

Go get a HD & we'll be here to help you out
    Last edited by FastGame; September 1st, 2004 at 14:06 PM.

Hopefully you have your Win installation key written down or on other documentation. You will need it to install the OS on the new disk. Everyone needs to file the key for the time your drive fails. It will eventually fail. If you don't know the key use a program like Belarc Advisor to access it.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful
    Will be getting the new HD this week I hope and will come back and ask away
    Um, how do I know if I have the WIN installation key? I have used the recovery disk before and did ok, I had to wipe out all due to other probs not related to HD.
    How do I find it and what is the Belarc Advisor?
    And how do you hook up old hd to new? Oh well, that we can cross when we come to it I guess !
    THANKS!!

It is a 25 character key containing a combination of letters and numbers. It is structured in groups of five characters separated by a "-".

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Install and run Belarc Advisor. It will reveal the key.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I should have double checked this too...
    How do I know what HD to buy? I know I have a 40GB in now. That is all I know.
    I see one for sale at Circuit City, Western digital, 80 gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache Internal EIDE
    49.99 after $40 rebate
    Does this sound good and will work?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micki
    I should have double checked this too...
    How do I know what HD to buy? I know I have a 40GB in now. That is all I know.
    I see one for sale at Circuit City, Western digital, 80 gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache Internal EIDE
    49.99 after $40 rebate
    Does this sound good and will work?
    Sounds OK to me, go for it.

Yep thats a good one, make sure you send in the rebate or else you paid to much

Oh, so that isn't a good price? I can shop around! Any suggestions?
    Thanks, you are all so helpful

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    no what FG is saying its a good deal as long as you mail in your rebate for the extra $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Micki
    Oh, so that isn't a good price? I can shop around! Any suggestions?
    Thanks, you are all so helpful
    Yes it's a good price if you turn in the rebate, they're $62.00 @newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...144-122&depa=0

Oh , okay.
    Thanks! Yeah I saw some on e-bay for just under that, but with shipping more so this seems good!