Thread: Info About SP2 Install

Exclamation Info About SP2 Install

Just thought I would let people know about my SP2 install. After I installed SP2 my internet speed seemed to be quit a bit slower than usual. When I checked it on a couple of different sites, I was right. My average download speed went from 4000kps to about 1250kps. I resest my cable modem and switch, that did not do anything. I even tried releasing and renewing my ip address and also even tried to register my dns and nothing. I checked all of my settings and nothing had changed from before I installed SP2. I even went online with Microsoft and could not figure it out. So they sent the problem to the Webresponse team. I also have my other computer that is routed through the switch and checked the speed on that one and the download speed on that one was at about 4500kps. The only difference between the 2 computers is my other one is running SP1. I have tried for two days and try to figure this out and nothing. I even tried the 4226 patch and nothing. If anyone has anything to add to this, please do.

Chuck Goble

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    This is just a stab but you might want to try downloading XP Antispy and then try the connection limit tweak that enables 50 connections under the Special tab.

http://xp-antispy.org/index.php?opti...y&filecatid=42

Conan,

I already applied the patch and it did nothing for my speed. I ran xp-spysoft and it showed the patch was applied. I have tried everything that I know, run three adware programs, clean my system out and checked for viruses. It is driving me crazy. Other than that my computer runs great with SP2. I have looked through several forums and saw nothing like the problem I am having. I will give MS a chance to see if the can fix the problem. If they can't I will uninstall SP2 and stick with SP1. Maybe! I am spoiled with my 4000-4500kps download speed. Compared to what I am getting know. Thanks for that little info.

Chuck Goble

Could it be the firewall? Firewalls are know to slow the internet connection down.

I don't have an antivirus and I don't like firewalls. So I just turn both to unmonitored so that the Sercurity Centre won't bug me.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    wondering are you using any P2P? there is a bug in sp2 where the connections are limited to 10 go here and there is a fix.

Here is what I did I uninstalled Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (newest build) and then installed Zone Alarm newest build and my speed has doubled. It is now at about 2500-2700 kbps. Not to where I was before but better. I am waiting an email from MS to see what they are going to do. I have already installed the patch for the p2p. I believe it was the 4226 patch. That did nothing. But that was before the swap over of firewalls. The control center actually can monitor Zone Alarm but I disabled that and I will monitor it and the same for my anti virus. I use Avast home edition. Thanks!

Chuck Goble

Quote Originally Posted by andro700
    Here is what I did I uninstalled Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (newest build) and then installed Zone Alarm newest build and my speed has doubled. It is now at about 2500-2700 kbps. Not to where I was before but better. I am waiting an email from MS to see what they are going to do. I have already installed the patch for the p2p. I believe it was the 4226 patch. That did nothing. But that was before the swap over of firewalls. The control center actually can monitor Zone Alarm but I disabled that and I will monitor it and the same for my anti virus. I use Avast home edition. Thanks!

Chuck Goble
    If it's an option to reformat, I would reformat and then stick with Zone Alarm. It would also be better to create a slipstream of SP2 into your Windows CD and then reinstall with that.

Conan,

How do you slipstream. I have heard of it but don't know how to do it. My computer runs great, the only thing that was effected was the download and speed when browsing the internet. Do you think I really need to reformat it.

Chuck

Conan,

How do you slipstream. I have heard of it but don't know how to do it. My computer runs great, the only thing that was effected was the download and speed when browsing the internet. Do you think I really need to reformat it.

Chuck
    Here are some applications that will automatically slipstream for you:
    nLite:
    http://nuhi.msfn.org/download.html

Flexbeta Slipstreamer:
    http://slipstreamer.screemer.nu/

Autostreamer from Neowin:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...&#entry2453585

Personally I prefer nLite cause it lets you change Windows options before installing it but if you want to leave Windows as is, Autostreamer might be the better choice. You don't really have to reformat but I'm guessing that your download speed problem might be solved if you do.

I always prefer to do a fresh reformat and slipstreamed install whenever a new Service Pack comes out.

Conan,

Update! Here is what I did download TCPOptimizer from Speedguide.net and optimized my settings and unchecked proxy server and went with direct connection. Here is my results. This was in the middle of the afternoon.

Date: 09-01-2004 23:16:56
    IP Address: 24.230.158.61
    Download Size: 2MB in 4.141 seconds.
    Est. Throughput: 4,044 Kbps.

Conan,

Update! Here is what I did download TCPOptimizer from Speedguide.net and optimized my settings and unchecked proxy server and went with direct connection. Here is my results. This was in the middle of the afternoon.

Date: 09-01-2004 23:16:56
    IP Address: 24.230.158.61
    Download Size: 2MB in 4.141 seconds.
    Est. Throughput: 4,044 Kbps.
    Glad you got it fixed!

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Here are some applications that will automatically slipstream for you:
    nLite:
    http://nuhi.msfn.org/download.html

Flexbeta Slipstreamer:
    http://slipstreamer.screemer.nu/

Autostreamer from Neowin:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...&#entry2453585

Personally I prefer nLite cause it lets you change Windows options before installing it but if you want to leave Windows as is, Autostreamer might be the better choice. You don't really have to reformat but I'm guessing that your download speed problem might be solved if you do.

I always prefer to do a fresh reformat and slipstreamed install whenever a new Service Pack comes out.

Just wondering if you can slipstream sp2 with an already slipstreamed sp1 cd?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by zipp51
    Just wondering if you can slipstream sp2 with an already slipstreamed sp1 cd?
    They say you can do that but it's resulted in errors for me when installing the final SP2 slipstream. When I slipstreamed with the original disc the errors on install are gone.