Thread: Possibe Graphic card problem

Possibe Graphic card problem

I have a HP a230n computer with 64mb built in gpraphics card.
    When I run my DVD it sounds and video is not smooth. Also when I run my Performance Test (3d test), computer either reboots or freezes. This also happens when I try to transfer big files from my two hard drives.
    I updated drivers and it did not help.
    I ran my recovery disk, still no help.
    Tried, in system manager, to disable DVDRW, no success.
    I did return it to Best Buy and they had it for a week and half, did not solve problem. They said they adjusted fans, but they didn't push the graphics.
    I have 256 and 512 DDRAM. It is shared with the graphics card.
    What am I missing.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    personally I would try to update your video card drivers...also may reinstall your dvd player app.

Sometimes it could be the DVD player application that is having incompatibility problems with the video card. You should check for the application updates.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

I updated drivers and many other things.
    The last thing I tried was to take out the 512 memory PC2700, which is what it was called for and put in my 256 that Best Buy took out when I updated to 512 and 256. There are only two slots, so I currently have two 256's in. They both are PC2700's. When I had the 512 and 256 in, my computer did recognize both, but when running 3d graphic with the 512 in, my computer would reboot.

I thought it may have been the 512 a month ago so I had them replace it with a new one. My computer says it will go up to 1g.
    I hope I do not have to stick with the two 512s but I don't know what to do.
    Any suggestions that I'm missing. I know I may not have wxplained this as clearly as I should have.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Run the memory sticks (preferably 1 stick at a time) with memtest to identify if you have a faulty stick or memory.

http://www.memtest.org/

Ran Memory Test, showed no problem. It's just seem to be with using the 512 stick. Like I said, the computer goes up to 1g and this is the second 512 stick I've put in.
    Tom

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    What is the wattage of your Power Supply Unit (PSU) ?

Might be faulty,or underpowered for your specs.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========