Thread: Can't update BIOS?!?!?!?!

Can't update BIOS?!?!?!?!

I'm having a problem maxing out the RAM on my computer. When I put in the 2nd 256MB upgrade I get a message stating that windows won't start up because my BIOS needs to be updated. But when I try to update the BIOS I get another error message & can't complete the update. I've tried the BIOS upgrade for Windows XP & for Windows ME. I tried XP b/c its the OS I'm running now; I tried ME b/c its the original OS of the computer. Does anyone have any idea of why I can't get either BIOS update to work? Also, why the 1st 256MB of RAM didn't require a BIOS update (the 2nd update is the exact same memory)? Your cooperation is appreciated.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    welcome to the board. first can you give us some info on your hardware. MOBO, cpu, etc.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    It's probably because your BIOS limits the amount of RAM that you can stick into your machine.

Not sure of my motherboard & CPU... I can tell u I have an HP Pavilion 7840 w/an Intel Celeron processor & that I can max out at 512MB of RAM... I can't remember whether or not I added the 1st 256megs before or after I upgraded the OS to Windows XP... would that make a difference???... I'm thinking the reason I can't do a BIOS update is because the computer came with Windows ME, but now I'm running Windows XP???... I'd HATE to have to uninstall XP, put ME back on & do the BIOS update, then finally reinstall XP again just to get an extra 256MB of RAM... can someone PLEASE tell me I won't have to go through this ordeal