Thread: Unable to play Audio CDs using SCSI CD-ROM with WMP10

Unable to play Audio CDs using SCSI CD-ROM with WMP10

My TEAC CD-532S SCSI CD-ROM Device will not play ANY (bought or burnt) audio
    CDs using WMP10. It will play ALL audio CDs using Nero Media Player (version
    1.4.0.22) so the problem might be with the software.

The error code C00D0FAC is given when I try to play an audio CD indicating
    that the disc/files are damaged/corrupted. Using the WMP Error Correction for
    Digital Playback does not help. Neither does Analog Playback.

My SONY DW-U18A DVD RW will play audio CDs with both the WMP & NMP.

I use Exact Audio Copy (version 0.95 prebeta 5) to rip audio CDs to my hard
    drive as .wav files and burn to CD using Nero Burning ROM (version 6.3.1.20).
    I have only recently installed and started using EAC.

Could EAC be the problem? Is just WMP10 at fault? Is it a combination? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

try going to Tools - Options - Device, then click your cd rom from the list and click properties
    try selecting analog instead of digital

nevermind, try going back to wmp 9, if it still doesnt work, maybee the scsi drive has given up and decided to retire
    Last edited by stuart; September 25th, 2004 at 02:37 AM.

Tried anolog. Played but was skipping heaps.

The SCSI CD-ROM will play audio CDs using NMP! The drive is fine.

Might try rolling back to a previous version (WMP9 prolly).

did you tick use error correction for analogue playback

I think WMP 7.1 worked. However, I can only roll back to WMP 9 (which don't work)! Can I re-install 7.1 over 9?

I dl'ed & installed foobar2000 which worked (as does Nero Media Player). Media Player Classic (dl'ed exe file only) gave me the same result as WMP 9 & 10 (no good).

If I can't rectify the problem I'm more than willing to avoid using WMP. However, I'm still curious as to know why it don't work! Something to do with codecs perhaps?

This is a long shot, but back-up the firmware in your SCSI CD drive and (depending on age of drive) go to manufacturers site and download a newer/older version of the firmware and experiment. Sounds daft I know, but it worked a couple of years ago for me, hope you sort it.

Updated the firmware for the CD-ROM. No luck.

"Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device" was turned off {via Properties (right click on the CD-ROM drive in My Computer window) -> Hardware (select the appropriate device) -> Properties -> Properties}. Tried setting it the other way and received the message "Digital Playback Enable: This drive has not been shown to support digital payback. Symptoms may include poor audio quality, cdplayer application responding oddly or not responding to the PLAY command, and/or silence when seemingly playing audio. Are you sure? Yes/No!" Selected "Yes" but also no luck!

Just to clarify, when using Analog Playback for this CD-ROM (via Tools -> Options -> Devices -> Properties in WMP) there is a 3 second echo. In other words 3 seconds after a track begins it starts again (not as loud) and keeps playing over the top of the original. With all of the other attempts there is either silence or intermittent cracking with silence in between.

Nero & foobar allow me to use the CD-ROM to playback CD audio tracks so I think I'll leave WMP alone for now. Thanks for all the advice fellas.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Sometimes incompatibilities can be a pain in the arse.