Thread: Installing eide hard drive with sata hard drive

Installing eide hard drive with sata hard drive

Im very green. You guys are way out of my league but I need your help with step by step instruction. I have a p/4 asus p4p800 motherboard. There is a seagate 120 sata hard drine. I purchased a WD 120 eide drive to add to this just for storage. The directions from WD only tell you how to install both hard drives if both are eide. They want me to attach the eide ribbon to both hard drives but you cant do that with the sata hard drive. I see both sata plug ins on the motherboard but I also see eide plug ins there. This must mean I can use both types of hard drives. i need to know which plug in on the MB to hook to & if I just hook to that & leave the sata drive alone. I usually wouldnt mess with this kinda stuff but the hurricane is here & im bored. Just so you know I have windows xp pro.. 1 gig ram.... Help if you have time.....If i have to do anything with the bios, please tell me in detail

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    to install the ide drive just plug it into the ide 1 and set it to master. then boot into the bios and auto detect the hard drive. once your in windows then just go to the computer management and format the drive.

When you say plug into ide 1 is that the primary? also you said to set up as master. does that mean set the eide hard drive as master instead of slave

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    When you say plug into ide 1 is that the primary? also you said to set up as master. does that mean set the eide hard drive as master instead of slave
    Yes and yes to both questions.

what he said.

Thanks , its working fine...

Revisited

I'm getting basically the same mobo. I'm also getting 2 SATA 160 GB HD's. I want to set them up mirror raid. I want to use a 20GB HD IDE as master. Can this be done? How hard is it?
    Thanks in advance.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by workjohnout
    I'm getting basically the same mobo. I'm also getting 2 SATA 160 GB HD's. I want to set them up mirror raid. I want to use a 20GB HD IDE as master. Can this be done? How hard is it?
    Thanks in advance.
    Why would you use your slowest drive as the master? The RAID array will be for what, storage and backup? Your fastest drives or RAID array should be your master or C: drive.

again what he said.... ...when installing windows press F6 to install the sata and raid drivers. then it will proceed into the xp install after it has installed and recognized the sata drives. then when you say raid them there is raid 0-5 depending on your setup. what do you want to accomplish with raid the extra speed or for redundency.

Ok, just to fill in a gap or two, I'm not a gamer or OCer. I'm a DJ/Karaoke guy. I have about 50 GB of music files that I want to mirror. Speed is not my concern. Storage/redundancy is. That's why I want the SATA drives setup for raid 1. Right now I use Windows 2000 but I have XP for the new machine, which arrived today by the way.

Just for the record, here's the specs:
    Asus P4P800E
    Intel P4 3.0 800FSB Prescott
    2x512 Corsair Twinx XMS3200 Dual Channel
    2xWD 160GB SATA 7200rpm
    2x Plextor Plexwriters

I figure that all I need is my current 20GB HD to run XP on. I just haven't configured any of this "new" stuff before and I want to make sure I don't screw it up.

Will it be obvious at the point where I press F6 to install the sata drivers? Is that part of the XP installation or prior to that in the BIOS?

I just did this not too long ago. I can't remember exactly when you hit F6, but it says it on the screen, something like "Press F6 now to install drivers." If you don't have any other hard drive hooked up, you won't be able to install windows and it will tell you so. So if you miss hitting F6, you can just try it again.

if you are installing raid for storage you do know that if you have 2 x 120gigs and you raid them you're not gonna have a raid of 240 gigs but you'll have 120gig drive mirrored.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    if you are installing raid for storage you do know that if you have 2 x 120gigs and you raid them you're not gonna have a raid of 240 gigs but you'll have 120gig drive mirrored.
    Exactly. That's way more than I need (it's actually 160). I just need to know that if one drive fails I have the whole thing backed up. If I lose all of my mysic I'm out of biz and it would take forever to replace it all.

Talking

Ok it's all set up. It took 2 reinstalls to get it right. When I didn't see the raid drive in my computer I thought I screwed it up so I reinstalled. Then I remembered I had to set it up in disk management or it won't show up. DUH!!!!!
    Thanks for all the help guys!

Hi. Newbie here. I have 2 Seagate SATA 80GB HDD. My motherboard is ASUS P4V8X-X with VIA chipset VT8237. Before installing Windows 2000, I setup the RAID array as indicated by the motherboard's manual. Now I have "successfully" installed Windows 2000 on one of the drives. I used the Windows 2000 driver provided by ASUS for the SATA RAID controllers. My question is, have I done everything right if my "mirror" drive is not visible when I run disk management? Do I need to "synchronize" the contents of the 2 drives everytime? Or is it automatic under Windows 2000?

Thanks!