Thread: easy cleaner question

easy cleaner question

not sure if i post here or not but anyway.

should i delete everything the clean registry function finds.. will it screw up my comp in any way.? im not very good at that kind of thing

thanks

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neonlights
    should i delete everything the clean registry function finds.. will it screw up my comp in any way.? im not very good at that kind of thing
    I don't know how safe easy cleaner is and with all registry cleaners is a risk of damage.RegScub XP is pretty safe and it's free, give it a try.

ah thank you

Bronze Member
    always backup your registry before messing around. some of the good ones have that feature - notably registry first aid; however, you should really look at what it deletes or adjusts before acting on it.

if you are not really for sure- try jv16 powertools. it is a fairly safe registry cleaner.

if you want a no- brainer.. try system works.. i have found it only deletes the the most certain of registry entries.. but that is to say- why bother with it.
    i used to use Norton Utilities and liked it. it too is fairly safe.

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by neonlights
    not sure if i post here or not but anyway.

thanks

No cleaner is foolproof, but I recommend RegScrubXP and Microsoft's RegCleaner both of which are free and automatically backup before fixing the errors.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Becareful with regcleaners, I have had some bad experiences with them, especially with mass-removal ones... I use RegCleaner only to remove some traces of Video drivers, but havent used it in months!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Bronze Member

reg cleaner galore

yes, to be careful is right word. i have always messed around with reg cleaners- i estimate if i was to use the various reg cleaners this very moment- they would find (and recommend) to delete 10-15 enteries (systemworks), 25 (norton utilities) to 100 enteries (jv 16 power tools) to 300 enteries (registry first aid), to 500 enteries (i think it was -reg vac).

what has amazed me was- even with a brand new computer or a freshly reformatted/installed computer- the reg cleaners will find over 100 reg errors.

i have hacked around a lot, learning what not to touch. if there was a reg cleaner for dummies.. if would probably buy it . (is there?)

for the record, i have also tried v com's (fix it utilities)reg cleaner and tune up reg cleaner which have been highly recommended. if i was to become more familar and use them more frequently, i may feel confident they may be very good for you.

but what i have learned, is
    1) backup reg
    2) make disk image
    3) there is no way to really make it squeaky clean (except by spending hours and hours going over each item).
    and finally so what- if there is a unwanted item.. does the computer work? <yes> does it work well <yes>- sometimes leave the registry alone.

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Be careful with regcleaners, I have had some bad experiences with them, especially with mass-removal ones...