Thread: Inexpensive way to sit in living room and comfortably read long articles online

Inexpensive way to sit in living room and comfortably read long articles online

I dislike reading long articles (like history of World War II) sitting at my computer desk. The living room couch is far more comfortable. But how would you suggest I, economically, set things up so I can use my present computer AND sit on the couch in my livingroom?

The distance from my computer to where I sit in the living room is 16 feet. Should I think of wireless connection to a laptop or should I opt to run a cable from my tower to the laptop? Or how would one do it? Which is more practical--which would be cheaper? I'd want to be able to switch between my laptop and my regular desktop monitor. I'd want to be able to follow any links I might see on my laptop just as I can do now with my mouse and desktop setup. (I don't suppose I really need a full laptop...just another monitor and mouse--is there just a lightweight 15" monitor-only out there with a mouse that I could obtain? What about used equipment?

I have usb 2.0 ports and a firewire port.

Any and all responses appreciated.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    moved to hardware forum

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Does your video card have TV out? Or you could get a Video card PCI card, and simply run the SVIDEO cable from your PC to your TV, then use it like a dual monitor setup and have your desktop on your TV, most TVs support 800x600 resolution, enough for winXP and reading.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Cash_site:

Nope, my video is onboard; no TV out. Yes, I could get a video PCI card and run an S-video cable to my TV. But for a bunch of reasons, I would still prefer having something I could hold in my lap on the couch rather than using my TV. So let me ask "could I use a laptop as a 2nd. monitor connected by some cable from my tower or desktop monitor?"

1. How would one set up a laptop as a 2nd. monitor?

2. And could I control things from my "laptop 2nd. monitor" as I do now with my keyboard and mouse?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    If you have a laptop, then it might be worth you setting up a small network, cross-over cable would be fine, then simply sit on your couch with the laptop, and access the files via the LAN on your desktop PC.

Next bet would simply be to copy the eBooks etc to the laptop so you dont need cables etc.

OR... simply print out the books on paper (?) and then you can take it anywhere.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I got no emails re your last 2 responses--as I usually do--in response to my questions. So both times I had to go to the board. Is this likely something wrong at my end or yours?

Re your suggestion of the crossover and the laptop. This is all new to me. Do I need a router? Right now I am using a cable modem; it just has 1 jack for connecting an RJ-45 cable to my tower. Assume I have or will get a laptop. How would I connect things? Is there a site that will tell me about this?

A cross over cable is used to network only two computers together. So if you would like to use the internet on your labtop and be able to access your files from your pc at the same time I would suggest a switch or if your laptop has wireless LAN abilities you could get a wireless router, with a network cable jack so you could plug your PC into the network also, that way you would not even need to run any cables to your laptop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is also a neat little tool in XP that allows you to control a computer remotely (free). Not text based it is totally a GUI system. Go into the start menu and look for a shortcut to something called remote assitance. Or it is in help and support. This program requires the person on the computer you are calling into to accept the connection. You can probably find an article on this in the Windows web site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Wireless Router

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...325-001&depa=0
    Last edited by beelzebub; September 10th, 2004 at 03:40 AM.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    The Remote Desktop Connection is located in
    Start>All Programs>Accesories>Comunications>Remote Desktop Connection
    Or alternatively you could type in the Run box (Start>run) mstsc.exe
    In the link that beelzebub posted I saw a cheap and nice laptop too http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...115-125&DEPA=0
    That if you want to buy one. Now, from your post......
    Considering you have onboard video, probably you don't have a high end system, right? Do you have an AGP port? I am guessing you want to do the cheapest solution possible.
    Having a second monitor (I use 2 monitor in my computer at home and at the office) could do that, but...I never seen a 16 FT video cable. For that matter, I haven't even seen a 16 ft S-Video either (maximum I seen was 9ft and it costed 60 dollars (10 dollars a feet), so using a second monitor wouldn't work. The keyboard and mouse are not problem, you could get a Logitech Bluethoot set for 80 bucks.
    The cheapest solution that I have come out, and probably the best (after the laptop, or even better than the laptop) is......Are you ready?.....
    Buy an executive chair for the computer
    I am not joking, really. I used to have an executive chair in my computer back in Argentina. I loved that. I could spend a lot more hours in front of the PC that I do now, and I have even slept a lot of times there (it was a bit too much confortable)
    I will buy one for myself after I finish settng up everything at home and make some space (I am very short on space)
    Look for something that you can change easily the angle of inclination. You might want 90 for normal use, and to go lower when you want to do some long reading

That is not a bad notebook but this is a few dollars more with everything that has plus internal wireless 802.11g, standard for most wireless.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...149-008&depa=3

Or go with the chair, I would go with this.

Thanks Everybody for all you input...it's much appreciated.

The idea of a laptop and router (neither of which I now have) is indeed appealing---save for the cost as I'm on a fixed income (retired) and medical insurance premiums, I read, are going up 11% in 2004!!! Even the cheapest refurbished IBM Thinnkpad laptop that would do the job was on sale for $429. And a wireless Linksys 4-port router was $59.

David: the idea of a executive chair is brilliant and I will certainly look into it. A nice plus it would also give me (besides the comfort) is that I could have my deskspace between me and my monitor available for making notes which I often do when I read net articles. And it's so simple a solution. Thanks!! But I may still have to save up for a bit though if I look around I might find a used one.

wumply

David: Can you point me to some specific chairs you've liked or had?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    The chair I had I got it from an office set up from a family friend (when he had to close the office to move) so I got it for free, but I know it wasn't cheap at all. I really miss it It was in Argentina and I have no idea what it was.
    I recomend to go to an office store. They even usually have desks. At one point I was about to buy new desk and chair, so I went to officeMax, and I tried their chairs together with the desk. The chairs were in one section and the desk in another, but they let me take the chairs to the desk to try them out. The chair I liked costed 199$
    Expensive for a chair, but I really think it was a well invested dollar. Luckily I decided to wait since the desk I wanted was sold out, and the week after that I had to replace the clutch in the car (I Haven't recover from that yet )
    If I had to buy it now, I would have to go again and test them out. Try them with a desk similar to yours, because I seen this points when trying out the chairs
    1) it has to fit with your desk in fashion style, not to look like an outsider
    2)it has to fit. Sometimes the arm rest will get in the way when you try to get close to the desk to type
    3) your feet have to be in a confortable position when you type (90)
    4) you still need space to move around
    5) you can recline it well to rest your back every now and them easily.