Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100% CPU leads to reset button

Titanium Member

100% CPU leads to reset button

Help! I can't stand it anymore. I'm tired of desktop lockups due to high cpu usage. I guess i'm asking too much of my cpu but I must multitask. I have little patience when this occurs and I resort to the reset button on my pc several times a day. Is there an app that would prevent such occurrences and limit or control usage by individual app? I need a CPU referee so competing apps play by the rules

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    What are the apps that you have open simultaneously?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    What are the apps that you have open simultaneously?
    get ready for a long list

Titanium Member
    It varies. The last one was when I started regCleaner and started another app. (forgot which app) tried to start taskmanager to see what was happening but no go - frozen desktop - tried to recover regCleaner from taskbar - that was not happening either.

These are my standard running processes

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PowerPanel\upssrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro\avpm.exe
    C:\PowerPanel\upsio.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Agnitum\OUTPOS~1\outpost.exe
    C:\Program Files\PREVX\Prevx Home\PXAgent.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\TrayMan\ntstart.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\TrayMan\trayman.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Motherboard Monitor 5\MBM5.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\WinPatrol.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dudez\ProtoWall\ProtoWall.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\ssm\SysSafe.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
    C:\Program Files\PREVX\Prevx Home\SAGUI.exe
    C:\Program Files\Active SMART\ActiveSMART.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro\AvpM.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\ken\Desktop\9-01\Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    Last edited by lynchknot; September 11th, 2004 at 01:15 AM.

What kind of CPU do you have and how fast is it? Also, how much RAM do you have and what kind is it, e.g. pc-3200 ddr 400 etc.

Als, you seem to have one to many virus scanners open I might be wrong but that is what it looks like to me. Get rid of what you don't need.

Here's a way to do it:
    Go to RUN and type msconfig.
    Then go to startup tab and get rid of the things you don't need.

If you suspect that you also have viruses that are actively running and you can see them in msconfig go to this site and search the name of that process and see if it a virus.

http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/search.php

Titanium Member
    Hello Beelzebub, thanks for responding.
    I have an AMD xp @1666mhz and 1GB - 2700 ram.
    The virus scanner is just system and username instances of the antivirus monitor - msconfig is sort of temporary (if I start normal, it resumes to loaded startups) I use Winpatrol to control startup programs.

Wow an Athlon XP 2000+. OK to get back to diagnosing do you have to reset when you have nothing open, or is it just when you are running apps? If it is just when you are running apps, what specific user openned apps are you usually using together like lets say MS WORD and a Virus Scan, that scans in the background, etc?

Also if you are running 3D intensive apps or game like apps. with other programs running also, like for instance the internet if you have dial up or MS WORD that would be the cause. I know this cause I have a Pentium 4 2.0 GHz (not to proud of it) and at lan parties I can only have one game open and nothing else or my computer will start to lag and eventually lock up.

Finally, to get rid of that pesky prompt MSCONFIG gives you at startup click that box in the prompt. I realize microsoft makes it sound bad if you tell it to get rid of the screen but really it does nothing. If you need to change anything at startup just go back into msconfig.

Also trying to run programs that scan your hard drive for errors or viruses at the same time tends to cause a lot of problems I would not suggest doing that with any kind of CPU.

(The higher GHz processors just lag a lot when running two apps like these together but a 2Ghz or lower system will act frozen if you do this.)

Titanium Member
    Seems to have gotten worse with sp2. I really want a "cpu broker" to regulate concurrent running time-sharing and to intervene when problems like this arise or at least let me view/operate taskmanager.
    Last edited by lynchknot; September 11th, 2004 at 18:57 PM.

OK here is the basic fact without beating around the bush. Desktop and CPU lockups in the majority of cases tend to happen because your video card cannot process all of the information being sent to it. In the case of integrated video it happens because the CPU is handeling as much as it can but cannot process everything at the same time. Your problem can also happen because of viruses and spyware.

So run a virus scan and a spyware scan using a good high quality updated utility, for spyware I recommend Spybot Search and Destroy it is freeware that has free updates I use it on client PCs and Servers. Then run the disk cleanup utility then defrag. If you still have the same problem after all of this stop running all these programs at the same time (a CPU broker will just add another process to do) or upgrade your CPU and possibly your video card.
    Last edited by beelzebub; September 11th, 2004 at 20:20 PM.

Titanium Member
    Beelzebub, no offense but i'm not that much of a noob. My graphics card is a bios flashed and soft modded ati 9500pro and have been using Spybot 1.3.1, now beta version enabled, for the past 2+ years. I also use Adaware, BoClean and other "on demand" scanners.

Not bad. I am not trying to insult you myself the way I do things I try to cover all the bases some times it makes me write or say things that seam insulting to an experienced person.

But all I can say is upgrade your CPU or decrease the number of apps you use at one time. I run an equivalent CPU I often see the problems you have when all I am using AOL (not proud of this either) and MS WORD. What I do to remedy the problem is to slow down, i.e turn of some processes or turn of AOL etc., what I am doing or just stop using my computer for a while an alow my computer to finish all the tasks I have told it to perform.

Kaspersky might be the culprit

I hate to say this but your problem might be Kaspersky A/V, I used to love this virus scanner and in my opinion it is one of the very best at catching both known and unknown (viri?). however after version 3.5 the app really started consuming system resources and causing random lockups. Having said that I have not used it in some time and am therefore unsure about the most recent versions, but I had the exact same problems right after version 4 came out.

Badger

I had no idea thanks this helps me too. I hope that virus scanners the problem. Thanks 1badger11 I almost made somebody buy some expensive hardware. It makes me feel bad when I dont exhaust all the possibilities and make somebody do something that's costly.
    Last edited by beelzebub; September 11th, 2004 at 21:04 PM.

Titanium Member
    I use KAV version 4.5.104

- AvpM.exe is Monitor. I don't use Control panel and have shut it down. It makes a difference in setting as well, of course. I have set to not scan archives but have set all options for on demand scan.