Thread: QoS Packet Scheduler

QoS Packet Scheduler

Hello,

i was wondering if anyone could tell me if disabling this option makes the internet faster! I read there is a registry way of doing it and another one in the control panel but i don't know if it really does anything. I have a 128 connection but it's kind of slow, specially in msn with the downloads and uploads. You think this might help? I have windows Xp.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Direct from Microsoft:

Clarification about the use of QoS in end computers that are running Windows XP
    As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host.

Correction of some incorrect claims about Windows XP QoS support
    There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.
    Basically there is no performance gain from disabling or uninstalling it.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Ah ok, thanks for the help! I'll leave it alone then