Thread: Fatal Error Windows XP Setup

Thumbs down Fatal Error Windows XP Setup

I've tried to install windows XP twice and I keep getting this error message after the "Preparing install" and when setup begins "Installing Windows"

Installation Error E:\I386\ams.
    Fatal Error:
    One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

The parameter is incorrect.

Can anyone post me a solution?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    wogboy101...first off welcome to the community...about your install when I first installed xp I was getting weird errors from the get go...what I did to solve this was to go into the bios and change it to default...then run the install...also do you have a clean copy...meaning do you know that it has been used to install a good running xp. also you could try copying the cd to the hard disk and running the install from there. let us know if you need more assistance.

I do have a clean copy of XP.
    here's some more info to help you out

I have windows Me edition, and I have two hard drives with a dvd and a cd burner. would running the XP cd off the CD burner instead of the dvd drive fix the problem>?

still do the bios default thing ...but are you trying to duel boot ME and xp? is the 2nd hd new...and is it detected in the bios. also give us some specs on your box.

reply2

i am trying to update windows ME rather then do a clean install so i don't lose anything that I don't have a driver CD for.

specs:
    P3 500MHz
    MB SUPERMICRO P6SBA
    128 SD RAM
    TNT-2 video
    sony 12x/8x/32x CDRW
    pioneer DVD 16x

My primary hard drive which holds Windows Me is an old 10GB hard drive. I also have a secondary 80GB segate hard drive which i use for storage.

if I were you I would copy all your personal data to the other drive or to and do a reformat...use your 80gig for a primary and install xp fresh for drivers try www.driverzone.com

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar

Re: reply

Originally posted by wogboy101
    I do have a clean copy of XP.
    here's some more info to help you out

I have windows Me edition, and I have two hard drives with a dvd and a cd burner. would running the XP cd off the CD burner instead of the dvd drive fix the problem>?
    Sounds like a possible solution, try running the cd from the burner as dvd's become "choosy" with disks after a while.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    I would agree with phishhead.Go for a reformat rather than an upgrade.
    The problem with just upgrading from ME is you will have a lot of redundant ME files and drivers left on your system which will cause conflicts with the XP ones.
    I would suggest you FDISK the 10gig drive and set it to primary slave then set the 80gig to primary master.
    Go into your bios setup and in "advance bios features" change the first boot device to CDROM.
    Save and exit the changes then reboot and pop your xp cd in.The installation setup should then autorun.
    When it asks you what partition to install on select your 80 gig drive and format with the NTFS file system (not quick format).

With regards to drivers,looking at your system specs in your earlier post,XP will have all the relevant drivers for your hardware.

Hope that helps.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========