Thread: Firefox 1.0 Preview Release (0.10PR) Released

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Firefox 1.0 Preview Release (0.10PR) Released

http://mozillanews.org/?article_date...09-14+03-39-44

The Firefox 1.0 Preview Release has been released. The 1.0 final release won't be out for another month or so, and as such, the version number for this release is 0.10PR. For those who still count in decimal, 0.10 is larger than 0.9, despite what you were taught in school. Check out the Release Notes, the System Requirements, download link available at the preceeding address.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Ooh... looking good. I wonder if LK's skins are compatible?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Using it now.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Thanks for this. Gonna check it out now.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I'm not gonna upgrade yet. Too many of my themes and extension that aren't compatible yet...

Dude, this is one good browser... I'm sure it was on previous versions, but the Adblock Extension for 0.10 is amazing... I love it... Not only does it block the ads, but removes the Iframes too... so the pages looks as if there was nothing there in the first place

@Rik, yeah there are a few problems with themes etc, but in light of the recent vulnerabilities for Mozilla based browser, They recommend you upgrade asap. Also, it wont be long before the themes get updated anyway

or, just use LK's Longknot v0.10

@LK, free advertising plugs

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    I upgraded and the pop-up blocker is getting to be a bit annoying. Some sites that use javascript to open other windows don't work -even though I've configured FireFox to allow them to use pop-ups. Most of the extentions I use have been updated to 1.0PR. In due time things will work 100% again. Still - it's the best browser out there IMHO.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Also, I think came from Front Page of TZ (REV), firefox exceeded 1.3 milion downloads in a few days, and seems to be on the way to start chipping away at IE market dominance... its good see the tide is turning, as sheeple start seeing what is actually good to use!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

This post will probably cause an uproar. I am not fond of Firefox. I have been using Mozilla since version 0.9. Started using it long before I became a TZ member. Firefox works fine if you want to use it as a bare browser. It is when you start tweaking it that problems begin.

Here are my complaints:

1. Install Firefox. Click mail icon and Mozilla mail loads. To do that Mozilla Suite has to load. OK, download and install Thunderbird and make it the default mail client. That solves the first problem.

2. Need a few extensions. Download and install them. Usually works as designed. Everything good so far.

3. Firefox comes out with a new version. This is where the problems begin. How to go with the new version and maintain the same platform. I have spent hours trying to get the new version working the same as the previous one.

The main argument for using Firefox is that it is a barebones browser without the overhead of Mozilla Suite or IE. It is lean and fast. On my computer takes longer for Firefox to load than the suite when it is pre-loaded into the system tray. The initial load is the main place that people will notice a speed difference.

Invariably, I always go back to Mozilla Suite. The suite contains most of the things you need and they all work. I am not against Firefox. I keep it handy. I just don't want to spend my time tweaking the browser.

The main reason for this post is to suggest that Firefox may not be the browser for all of our members. For those that are reluctant to do the tweaking that is sometimes needed with Firefox, Mozilla Suite might be a better choice.

If someone has solved the upgrade issues with Firefox and extensions, please tell us about it.

The best reason for using Firefox is that you can use the great themes by Lynchknot.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    The best reason for using Firefox is that you can use the great themes by Lynchknot.
    Isnt that reason enough?

Good points though... I guess it can be a case by case deal for some people, depending on config/system specs etc... and also how long you may have used a different browser...

I use firefox only as a browser and Outlook 2003 for email... If i click 'send page' in Firefox, it opens Outlook no probs. Obviously i am not a power user of firefox as I havent even seen how to tweak it, but I am happy so far.

One thing we all agree on though, is that almost anything else is better than IE!!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---