Thread: xp pro wont install after a power cut

xp pro wont install after a power cut

please help, i had a power cut in my house, now when i started up windows again nothing happened, so i formatted and re-installed xp pro but it only gets as far as when it reboots and you get the prompt to press any key to boot from cd, i leave this option as i have already done that, but it just goes to the first boot up screen(the one where it counts your ram) and stays there.(freezes).

any help would be gratefull

Just guessing, but the power cut may have short the ram a bit. Maybe try resitting your ram or try using stick by stick until you can find which is the ram module giving problems.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

no no good tried ram, keyboard,hard drive cleared cmos and still the same

Like joshsiao, guessing, but the BIOS may have been affected by a power spike. As you obviously can still get online, go to your MOBO site & download the latest BIOS. Save it to floppy, then boot to DOS & save your existing BIOS (& I MEAN IT). Then flash your MOBO with the new one. Even if this doesn't work it won't do any harm. And if it all goes pear-shaped you can re-flash with your orriginal (COS YOU SAVED IT). Good luck