Thread: Power supply dead ?

Gold Member

Power supply dead ?

A friend of mine said his computer did not even light up, so I told him I would take a look at it. Like he said, nothing happened when plugged in, no lights, no fan spinning etc, so I suspected the Power supply. I had an extra power supply laying around so I thought I would try it. I removed the older power supply and started to put in the newer power supply. I plugged the main harness into the motherboard, and then plugged it in. I then heard the fans start on both the power supply and on the CPU unit. I was convinced that it was the PS, and I had fixed the computer for him. I then connected all the other wires. Before putting the case cover back on, I plugged it in again. No fans spinning. I then removed all the harnesses except the one to the motherboard, still nothing. What happened ?? I can hear a very light hum coming from the PS when plugged in, but nothing else. Any suggestions as to what happened ?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Try another video card but it could be a multitude of other things.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Why not try another PSU in the computer, and see if any other component is dead... but from the sounds of it, the current PSU is not healthy.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Gold Member
    Ready for a good laugh-- After playing around with the different power supplies and cables etc. I deceided to do something else for a while. Then I tried again, this time I remembered to turn the power switch on. !!!! Guess what, the newer power supply does work, as well as the computer. Oh well, computer tech I'm not. Thought everyone could use a good laugh at my stupidity !!

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    glad its not an overheating motherboard or an oozing capacitor that was causing grief

i have seen computers work fine until you turn them off
    then they are dead until 20 or 30 minutes later

junk computers
    hehe
    cheers
    egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Well glad you worked it out Mike, Im sure you have learnt a big lesson, and that you will never forget to check the power...

Dont worry though everyone goes through same learning curve... My car wouldnt start one day, so I called road-side assistance, and they checked the battery, and the battery cable had fallen off...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Heheh - Reading your initial problem, the first thing I thought of was a faulty power board, hehe, it's always the little things.

Glad you got it sorted.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho