Thread: Cannot Access files

Cannot Access files

I have just re-installed XP Pro with SP2 and have a problem, when I open a folder containing .jpg's and some .avi files taken with my digital camera the window freezes and all I can do is shut it down using Ctrl/AltDel, I can access the folder and files on another computer on my network without problem, this also happened on another folder containing .mpeg's but I solved this after installing some codec's, anyone have any idea's?
    Thanks, Zetor

There is a registry tweak which you need to apply to stop previews, but considering that searching for it and getting it is a lengthy task at the moment, here's a work-around suggestion:

1. Go to some other folder which has like 2 images in preview mode.
    2. Right-click and set: View - as icons
    3. Now go to "Folder Options", and in the "View" tab, click "Apply to all folders".

Do post back on how it goes. Hoping this helps....
    Cheers !!!

Hi,
    thanks for the info, I followed your suggestion and it did indeed work, the only folder now giving me the same problem is that folder with the .avi files from my camera, trying to open this folder and the computer freezes so I am thinking that the cause was this folder trying to preview the contents, so am I still needing a codec to let me open this folder? I can actually open WMP and play the .avi's from this folder although it isn't as smooth as before the fresh XP install which makes me think of a codec needed.
    Thanks again,
    Zetor

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    use the kazaa codec pack..has everything under the sun.